Titans trade for Tannehill

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So I understand your point...but here's the problem. Let's say Tanny is consistent and plays to a low 90's QB rating. We'll need the team to carry him and it's difficult (not impossible) to win a SB that way. Also, that means you gave up on Mariota and we'd get more bang for our buck by trading him for a high draft pick.

Given Tanny's recent past, would you sign him to a long term $25mil/yr contract? The Dolphins are not good and they got rid of him so they wouldn't have to pay him like 17-18mil/year. That's not a good sign.

While I think everyone would agree that Mariotas inconsistency has been his biggest problem (besides his health), he does play a good chunk of games at a very high level...which is offset by a good chunk of games at a backup level. I think the Titans will ride with Mariota unless he's still hurt or has some permanent nerve damage or Tanny REALLY outplays him throughout. While I don't think JRob and Vrabel will look at this as a qb competition per se...it is what it is and if Tanny is lights out better, he'll become the starter.

I think JRob's mindset is to get a real starter caliber backup (check) because of Mariota's injury history and ALSO in case Mariota has a bad season then maybe we give Tanny a try and see how he looks in our offense. Essentially both players are on one year contracts so it's deliver or bye bye.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I thought you were sleeping til Mahomes! Welcome back Big!!!

I think Mariota will have to earn that contract. I don't think they'll sign him to a huge contract until they see him play (to make sure none of these injuries have messed him up physically) and play well.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The grass is always greener...

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

This should be an exciting year!

The real question is how bad would MM8 have to play for Tanny to become an option. Vrabs seems like he's quick to replace people.

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

So what does he do just hold onto the ball on passing plays Einstein?

6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Hahahahaha...I struck a nerve....can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen boss...You’ve been on those nuts since I can’t remember.

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Mariota has had select flashes of being a superstar, nothing more.
    “Elite” already gets thrown around too much and it doesn’t describe Mariota at all.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

When the hell has he ever played at an elite level? He's thrown fewer TDs combined in the past two years than a good QB throws in one. Mahomes doubled his 2 year TD production in 1 season. Every single player around him who you bash is elite if you only count their good games .

9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Apparently, you do need to go back and read. The context was Mariota vs. Gabbert. I’m not saying Gabbert is better than Mary, but the fact that this is and has been an argument for a while should be cause for concern. And, no one ever argued that Peyton’s backups where equal or better than him.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Your baby daddy has no sense of urgency til the 4th quarter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar