Titans trade for Julio Jones

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Jun 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

oooh…I know! I know!

2. Carp

Carp Starter

I know. I'm just saying that it technically doesn't matter who restructures. You're guaranteeing the same amount of extra money to someone over the next 2 years. It's either Tanne at 40 million or Lewan 25-30 million or something like that. Makes sense that it's Tanne because he's already guaranteed to be here the next 2 seasons at least and he's the least likely to regress significantly.

3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

The question is whether we'll throw the ball enough to realize the difference between the two, or if we'll be bottom 5 in pass attempts again and he'll essentially just be an improved Corey Davis rather than a 2nd WR with the same impact as AJ Brown. It's really going to be depressing if we see a bunch of heavy congested formations again with some mediocre TE2 on the field constantly.

4. J Falk

J Falk Starter

We're gonna get a 3rd round comp pick for Davis. Plus the 6th they gave us. We gave a late 2nd and a late 4th. I wouldn't say we gave "alot" of draft capital for a highly superior wide reciever. Not to mention, adding bud depree may have not been possible if we had resigned Corey for 10 million.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

26 year old Corey Davis doesn’t draw double coverage while 32 Julio Jones still does. Sure, Julio might only have a few years left, but Tannehill is 32 and Henry is 27 coming off 4 million carries. The trade for Julio is Super Bowl or bust within the next 2 years. Tannehill, Brown, Davis, and Henry still aren’t beating Mahomes, but Tannehill, Henry, Brown, and Julio just might.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This.

Signing Davis is a “stay good but not great for longer” call.

Julio was a “go for the throat” decision.

I think jrob made the right call.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I do understand. They basically moved CAP hit from this year to the next two years. So what? It DOES NOT mean Tannehill is getting more money. A better question is if will hurt us when we have other guys to sign next year. So I guess Bud Dupree is a fantastic value at a $5 mil CAP hit. Or, maybe it doesn't mean much of anything as far as the guys value and is more about contract structure.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In fairness the difference between Davis and Jones, while I admit is significant, is not the only reason we might beat KC or can't beat them. My issue with this argument is that Davis would have cost as much on the CAP (a little less this year but as much or more the next two). So it isn't like we save money keeping Davis.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Davis signed a 3 year contract with the Jets so over that time span Julio might still be as good or better (than Davis) at a lower CAP hit. So the "longer" might not even apply.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  10. Tricky

Tricky Starter

I think it’s a bigger impact than just more passing targets. Even if Julio equals Corey’s targets, he is going to take defensive focus away from AJB and Henry more so than Corey ever did.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar