Titans trade for Julio Jones

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Jun 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Julio is a Hall of Famer first ballot! Corey Davis is an average nfl wr

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I got so annoyed with the talking heads who would dismiss TN as a landing spot for Julio because we didn't have enough cap room. We always had enough room if we wanted to create it, it was just a question of if we would be willing to pay Tannehill cash up front.

Just more proof that the miserly days of the Titans are well behind us. Amy wants to win now.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

He missed 7 games last year and had 51 catches. Certainly their could be injury concerns—it happens when players get older. But when he played he was good and didn’t look like he had lost anything. I think his average yards per catch were the highest in his career.

And he is a huge upgrade over Corey Davis. Davis scares no one. Teams game plan for Julio Jones. I will take Julio Jones over a 26 year old Corey Davis any day of the week.

It might not work out how we hope but it is definitely worth taking a shot on. You have to do it when you can. These chances don’t come up very often.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

I was definitely wrong about that part of this. I just couldn’t figure out why JRob wouldn’t have restructured contracts earlier in the offseason to create cap space. Especially with the cap going down. But I guess he truly felt like CD84 and Jonnu were replaceable pieces. I figured he was just not going to restructure anyone but clearly when a HOF player becomes available it changes the game a little bit.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I think the thought process for JRob was that there was no reason to do it before signing or trading for someone. He knew he could do it at any point if he needed to, so why do it before he has to?

And agreed that Julio is definitely a different calculus than most other players.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Obviously JRob thought it was better to sign two guys that could upgrade the pass rush over an average #2 WR and a TE, who while solid, could be replaced by Firkser in the offense. JRob jumped all over Reynolds early in the process so he saw that move as a cheap band aid to replace Davis in the short run.

People don't seem to get the value of Firkser in these decisions. Firkser can both replace some of Jonnu's production at TE and play a part as a slot WR. We might see Firkser put up some impressive stats since he will get plenty of opportunity in both roles. And again, Firkser's run blocking was rated equal to Jonnu by PFF. He was as good as Swaim in that category.

By the way if looking at average paid per year Autry and Dupree just happen to make about the same as what Davis and Jonnu got on their deals.

I fully agree on the restructure and really, if Tannehill is the one they restructure it isn't a bad thing at all because he might end up with an extra year on his deal which if perfectly fine at his age. Well worth doing a restructure to get Julio.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'm surprised they didn't add any voidable years to Tanny's deal to get even more cap relief.

I guess we could re-do Julio's contract to save about 10mil....if Amy Adams wants to lay out more cash.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We all cussed both of them for drops past couple years. They were replaceable. This was a good move by JRob. Can’t see how it’s not worth a (probable late) 2nd and 4th round pick while gaining a (probable early) 6th.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar