Titans too young to succeed in 2004....LIE!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

If rookies and second year players were as good as vets there wouldn't have to be a salary cap. They'd just pay new guys every year and coach them to play as well as guys that have been in the league for years. Hell why do they even use veterans? They obviously don't need em'... It's apparently easy to coach any old "Joe Shmoe" to be a pro-bowler. It's an absurd notion to think that experience doesn't matter in the NFL. Of course it makes a difference just like it does in college, high school, all the way to pee-wee league. You don't see many freshman starting in college do you?? Why is that? I wonder... But it makes sense that rookies and second year players (27 all together) should play like vets. This idea obviously comes from people that never played competitive sports.

Now, to say that they played to there potential would be a lie and I think they could have won three or four more games than they did. Even with a well coached all-out effort I didn't expect anything better than .500 this year and neither did many other people on this board. It seemed like all of the polls on the board indicated that most people expected the Titans to have a down year and yet people are still here acting surpised. Experience is always a factor when it comes to winning in sports no matter what level or sport, for that matter, and I think that experience certainly played a huge factor in our success this year. It's common sense.

You were right Jwill1919...:)

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

rcarie...

What the hell are you talking about? Nobody said that experience doesn't matter. Is that what i said in my post? My point is that the titans HAD a lot of experience at many key positions.

Quit writing as if half our starting 22 players were rookies. That's bullcrap! At the most we had just 6 starting players who were in their first and second year(Roos- bjones-pacmoron-hill-laboy-starks). What about the other 16 starters? The other 70%? They can just suck then? And if you are so high on experience what say you about players with 5, 6, 7 years experience or more? Just pretend they don't play? The giants went to the playoffs this year as eastern division champs with 5 starters in their 1st or 2nd season including the QB. What is our excuse?

You love experience? Then why didn't 7 year guard piller play worth a damn? Why didn't 8 year vet olson block anyone all year? What about 5 year vet haynesworth? Our 2 4th year safeties? Why didn't our 11 year QB make the pro bowl? If experience is so great then ask why our most experienced players played like crap? Ask that question and maybe you will have a clue what i'm talking about.

3. Yeah, because the 4 veterans ahead of him on the depth chart are on IR...

And Champ Bailey is on the other side.

Thank you. That was my only point.

I'm not convinced that's entirely true. I think that they've generally gotten production from guys who stay healthy and who end up developing into quality NFL players.

Certainly coaching is an issue. And while I don't think cap management has been a problem, certainly having to make a cap purge is the biggest reason we are so bad. But the cap purge goes hand-in-hand with the youth movement, so you can't really blame one and ignore the other. Having a lot of young players is the way that it is...

4. When did I ever say that he was forced into starting? I said that he started most of the season. And the fact that he was our 2nd best CB, beating out other young Titans CB, doesn't exactly help you claim that youth isn't a problem.

Bennett was the only WR we had who had more than 1 year of actual playing experience. This position, like CB, only puts an exclamation point on the effect of having to rely on too many young players. Not only with the 3 rookies, but also with Calico.

So then you are agreeing with me that youth was a factor. I'm glad you see it my way... :ha:

Yes and no. Yes only in as much as I'm trying to show one of the differences between the Titans and playoff teams. They aren't generally relying on as many rookies as we are, and certainly not where they aren't being forced to by injury.

So? Those are the exceptions to the rule.

What happened to it being stupid to "compare this pile of crap organization to a playoff team"??? :rolleyes:

That 99 Titans team didn't have to rely on as many rookies, or as many young players in general as the 2005 team did. Our defense last year only started 3 players who had been in the NFL for more than 4 years (Bulluck, Sirmon, and KVB). In 1999, they had 5+ year veterans like Bishop, Robertson, Bowden, Wortham, Robinson, Ford, and Fisk.

That's just from the youth standpoint, and obviously there are other differences (like the obvious difference in talent). But clearly, the abundance of inexperience on this current team is a factor that was less of a problem in 1999.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Except for 2 corner backs, 2 Dlineman, 4 recievers, and almost every defensive and offensive reserve. Other than that we were loaded.

Over half of our roster is in their 1st or 2nd year. In football the starters take breaks quite often leaving young inexperienced players to come in an screw everything up.

And that's not a lot??

Our players stink. We got rid of all of our good starters last year; remember?? It seems pretty simple to me. If you get rid of all your good players and you don't replace them than odds are you aren't going to be a very good team.

As for the rest of your post, your right that several guys played terrible all year and that needs to be addressed in the off season. If you think that we should be winning with the talent that we have on this team your off your rocker. It takes time for talent to develop just like it always has with every other decsent player that has ever played. Sure, there are exceptions but generally it takes a couple of years. Every good team in the league that wins has key Vet leadership. We don't.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I agree with both perspectives. We are definately a young team. Probably the youngest team in the league. At the same time, there is no excuse for four wins with the schedule we played. Inexcusable. We had the talent this year to win 7 or 8 games. It didn't happen. It's definately someone's fault and falling back on excuses like youth doesn't help anyone. This seems like a good time to use one of my favorite quotes: "excuses are for losers". I hope we're not losers.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Someone mentioned mismanagement of the salary cap. I think that is the largest factor on why we have a subpar team right now. Had we cut our loyalties towards aging veterans instead of rewarding them with contract extensions, we could have been plugging in a few young players (ya know, like the dynasties do) per year instead of all at once like we're forced to do now.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i counted 12 guys who i would consider played a big part of the year.

bironas
    clauss
    hill
    pacman
    brandon jones
    laboy
    odom
    roby
    roos
    scaife
    starks
    troupe

you could also throw in waddell if you wanted to, because he played the nickle when woolfolk was hurt.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it was impossible. we would have a team of nine guys.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It's never impossible. Look at Denver or Pittsburgh. Or what New England is in the process of doing. Especially New England... did they care that Law had been the best player on their defense for the past 5 years ? Nope.. when he lost a step, he was out of town. That's what we should have been doing after our playoff runs. There seems to be a tendancy to overrate players or think that they still have gas left in the tank just because they were a small part of a larger success. The smart front offices look harder at the evaluations and make the tough decisions before they cripple the franchise for years to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar