Titans to Sign CB Malcom Butler

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Simms is CB3 now.

Ryan is NB1.

That’s just how we should look at it from now on. NB is a starting position these days.

The important thing is we don’t have Curtis Riley or Ty Smith on the field.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Young54

Young54 Starter

Exactly right. Honestly, I've never been that high on Butler. I think he's been way over-hyped pretty much because of his Super Bowl interception. I didn't understand the hype last year and hoped we would stay away. He's made one pro bowl and really struggled last year.

That being said, I can't fault the Titans for trying. I realize it is completely impossible for everyone on this board to be happy at the same time, regardless of that we do. Yea, maybe he got overpaid. Maybe I'm right and he's not as good as we think. We won't know until a couple years from now. At least the organization is showing effort in trying to improve the team and the culture. They're bringing in top rated guys (whether we all agree or not is irrelevant) with winning pedigrees. I'd much rather they try something and fail, than not try at all, which is pretty much what had been happening for a decade. It really does get me excited for what the future brings.

For the first time, in a loooong time, I feel like we're contenders. Our time is now!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I think we should limit our expectations of what Butler will be. He's not going to be a shutdown CB, and I'm sure he'll get burned once in a while.

What he is for us though is a major improvement over our 3rd CB and makes our secondary extremely difficult to match up with. Teams can't move their #1 to our worst CB because all of our starters can cover just about anyone.

Is it a lot of money for that? Sure, but we have a lot of cap and he is a very good player.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GoodCat

GoodCat Starter

Exactly. I think he is extremely over rated all because of the SB interception, but this still undoubtedly makes our secondary better. Just maybe paid a little too much imo. Either way I’m happy with the signing, just think he is an over rated player.

5. NJTitan

NJTitan Special Teams Standout

Teams have to pay too much some times to get the guy they want to not want to look somewhere else.

JRob and Vrab probably already had it set in mind Butler was the CB they wanted.

Over paid for him? Sure. Is he a shutdown CB? No. Does having him, Ryan, Jackson as the 3 starting CBs improve the secondary? Absolutely.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Butler is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder this year because of how Bellichick treated him at the SB. He has plenty to prove. I don't see him saying I got paid so now I don't have to play because that would prove that the Pats were right about him. He is going to come out balling.

We actually now have an abundance of CBs. I still think Sims is a solid guy and Tye Smith played alright too. Just so happy that we won't have to see McCain on the field again.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

JR broke into the league as a scout, having an eye for spotting talent. Regardless of which org he was in, I'd feel pretty confident that he scouted both Butler and Lewis, and likely has watched them since. He and Vrabel both have relationships within the Pats org to ask questions. You're kidding yourself if you don't think JR knows the legit reason Butler sat the SB. Honestly it wasn't a big issue to him.

And we have enough cap room to resign guys. What you seem to forget is that any new contract Lewan and Mariota get doesn't affect the cap until the season after this year. There's some expensive guys who expire at the end of this season. Step back from the ledge homie, it'll be aight!

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And we don't know what these contracts look like yet. We could very well have an out after two or three years. Or there can be minimal dead money relative to the deal signed.

Spend it while you got it.

9. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Kind of blows my mind some people find something to complain about with JR bolstering the secondary. Have some of you not watched the Titans over the past 5+ years? The secondary was one of the worst in the league prior to last season, and still needed help. Butler isn't the best, but I'll take having 3 very good CB's and another with potential over having less. Depth is important in the NFL, and JR won't get himself into cap hell, he's too smart.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This is interesting (and reassuring)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar