Titans still plan to trade or release Vince Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lilkhmerkid4u, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Locker or Ponder in round 2...I don't want any QB in round 1. I love Locker's work ethic and his intangibles have been compared by scouts to Tebow. The only thing keeping him out of round 1 is his accuracy, which he said this weekend was attributed to his feet. He is working on that. He is the type that if we could let sit for 2-3 years and develop, work on his mechanics at the professional level, could turn into a star, like Rodgers did.
    Ponder is just steady, I don't think he's a QB that will ever wow you, but he is extremely smart, athletic enough to make plays with his feet, and accurate.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Serious question, and take away all of the BS and say you were Bud Adams.

If Munch was in agreement, knowing what you know now would you be opposed to Young playing out his contract and drafting a QB? Or would you still go Kolb or Orton for 1-2 years?

Your goal is to win a Super Bowl next year.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Too much water under the bridge now for both coach, management, team and VY. Mentally, there's no way anyone can just sweep what happened under the rug and say "do-over". It'll always be there.

In seriousness, If I was owner, I would move on.

4. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I would go with Orton or Kolb....and not to get into the argument again, but here is why. I want no part of a young QB learning under VY. Taking Fisher out of it, you have admitted yourself that the only thing keeping VY from becoming "elite" was himself. Vick had to go to jail before he admitted he didn't put in the work necessary to be an elite QB. I think being cut will do the same for VY. I do not want a rookie QB learning how to take shortcuts the way VY has throughout his career. If VY had been kept I would have been 100% against drafting a QB to learn under him. It is better for both the franchise, and himself that they have moved on.
    On a side note, look, I know you are a huge VY fan, I can understand your frustration in letting him go. But it's time to move on from the subject. Let's focus on where the franchise goes from here.....

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I appreciate your honesty. And to be honest, its more about the team than it is VY. If I was a VY fan I'd already moved to another message board and would be awaiting to see where he lands.

I'm a Titans fan. I've got Titans sh*t all over my room and I never followed college football (outside of our conference while in college) so I don't have all of that Longhorn hype to hang onto.

I want to win a Super Bowl. Not in 5 years, but next year. VY's work ethic was not in question this year. He was praised for it. Even Fisher stood up for Young and his preparation after the Steelers game, that was not the issue with Young THIS year.

So my argument is that all MOST (not all) of these knocks on Vince are unfounded. It will suck though if he's released and then we have to play the guy every year or in the playoffs because when he DOES have the supporting cast around him and a coach who will utilize his talents, he will beat us everytime we play them. That's what makes him special.

If you want to win championships, you have to play winners.

If the matter had been debated it would be old news, but the fact that some posters (Creeping Cruds, Alex, etc) continually spammed the VY threads and never allowed any debate is what was frustrating.

They are the same posters who will be telling you to just let it go when another dumb move is made by the front office. They don't care about winning, all they care about is being right.

I want to win, if you prove me wrong I'll admit it (See AR thread).

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. CURRAN-12

CURRAN-12 The New Titan

I think I know what your thinking brother, you would keep VY, and to be honest so would I. The problem is like other guys have stated that there has just been to much that has happened.
    I think VY is going to go to another team, play well, and Bud will always wonder what if. I think that Bud put a lot of pressure on Vince to be just as good if not better than the man who lead this team to a superbowl appearance over ten years ago.. the problem is the Titans never took young based on what his talents were.. Bud saw a more athletic and refined player than McNair and wanted instant results.. the development and stress on becoming a straight pocket passer was not how Vince played therefore he failed based on the system he was brought up in.

Long story short.. just didnt work out and now .. like with many players before we have to wish VY farewell and hope the next QB.. whoever it is .. can thrive under Munchaks new era

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

That's what I was getting at. 2 months ago I was crazy, VY was a quitter, couldn't throw, had ovverrated stats and unlike many posters, I was still debating even though it was me against the board.

Now that everyone has realized Young might not have been such a bad QB option after all. Fans are fickle, myself included.

The thing is though, not all of the coaches were in support of Fisher. Underwood is gonna be gone soon and Munch has stated he will be his own man (while also stating he felt the VY situation had been taken care of).

So for people to say its water under the bridge is a little bit premature, not to say its not gonna happen (Young will probably be traded), but I don't think its far fetched for the team to welcome him back and I don't think Bud ever wanted to trade or release him no matter how much Fisher kicked and screamed.

In a nutshell, I want fans to remember how hard they fought for Young's departure because they did not make the best choice for their team.

While I think we could still bring in a QB and make a run for the division, I don't think we can win a Super Bowl NEXT year without VY. So a hit to the salary cap in exchange for a ring isn't a huge tradeoff.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I have to agree with this. And I don't like that people say that Vince quit on this team. Now was he an immature crybaby who threw fits when he didn't get his way, yes. But he was fired, he didn't quit. The great Jeff Fisher is the one who quit on this team.

9. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

This.

He's still under contract though so the decision hasn't been officially made. Our franchise is planning on releasing or trading Young. Dumb, dumb, dumb move.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Haha, that's rich.. The guy who posted the same six words over and over says I never allowed "any debate". As if there wasn't 20 different posters telling you to let it go at any given time.
    Your entire POV was coming from your self-induced "VY is innocent of every claim" stupor. Now it's "the team doesn't want to suck it up and look bad".
    Get real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar