Titans Staff Unified on Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe. We'll find out.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Actually we can't. We'll never know if Hayes was truly "about to go" to some other team and we got him because we jumped them. Whether or not he pans out is irrelevant when considering the draft strategy. (although it would certainly make everybody happier if he does :) )

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

OR

According to Starkiller, it is fact that Hayes would've been drafted before our next pick.

fwiw, I still think along the same lines as Riverman.

4. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Yeah right they a superbowl team this season. Lets be realistic.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

How is that not realistic? Last year we were 10-6 and in the playoffs. Vince plays like 2007 running the ball, and the Defense has solid games, and we could've won it last year.

Not many people would've thought the Giants were going to win the superbowl last year when the playoffs began, but they did.

6. TitanJeff

My reply was knowing whether or not those WRs were worth moving up for.

As for moving up for Hayes, does it honestly matter? If he becomes a starter in the league, he was worth it. If he is a bust, he was a waste of a pick.

I think people get hung up on the round/pick too much. Many see Hawkins a great value because he was taken in the fourth. Many see Stevens as a reach because he was taken in the third. Reverse the two and you still have the same two players.

7. If the Patriots had taken Tom Brady in the 2nd round instead of the 6th, would he have been a reach?

8. TitanJeff

Well, yeah. The Pats would have missed out on T Adrian Klemm who started 10 games in five seasons.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I understand the concept that the player will eventually reflect the quality of the draft. That is completely different, however, from the concept that the SAME player could have been picked up later. This concept is a reflection of the quality of our drafting talents.

I really am not particularly hung up on our draft. I believe it will play out much better than it has been graded. However, I just can't stomach the "whitewash" that the draft went well for us. I firmly believe our intent was to take first tier WR from this draft. There was a run on the first tier guys- we missed out because we didn't move up. We missed out on second run in the third round because we didn't move up and then we went TE. I don't think we ever would have taken Kelly or Manningham, but it makes me wonder though because we traded up in the fourth round supposedly to get Hayes who other unidentified teams were going to take. That just doesn't add up to me.

I think the honest assessment of our draft is more along the lines of:

"We wanted play-makers and we feel we hit on the best overall play-maker for our team at #24 with Chris Johnson. Unfortunately, we miscalculated in rounds 2 through 4 and our targeted players were taken before our turn(s). As a result, we identified and selected several under-rated players that we think have great potential for development in the league."

10. TitanJeff

I did too but that apparently wasn't the case because they had their pick of the bunch and went with a RB. I'm not convinced they would have taken Sweed over Jones in the second either.

They may be totally wrong but it seems obviously to me they didn't like any of these WRs enough to move up with the two fours they could have used.

Do I agree with this approach? No way. But I know it'll be a few years before know whether or not it was the right thing to do. I was critical of Roos over Barnes in '05 and am happy I was proven wrong.

Go back three years to '05 and tell me if any WR taken early besides Edwards are #1, big-time players. That's what the Titans needed and what they apparently didn't think this draft offered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar