Titans should start Hasselbeck over Locker, analysts say

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Msut10, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

"It’s easy to believe Munchak would consider making the transition to Locker, after the 2011 first-round pick spent his rookie year watching and learning behind Hasselbeck.

But three national football analysts and former NFL players — all of whom covered the Titans at some point during the second half of the 2011 season — believe Hasselbeck should remain the starter, reasoning that his experience and savvy still make him a better choice than the team’s quarterback of the future..."

continue:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120115/SPORTS01/301150049/Analysts-say-Hasselbeck-Titans-man?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

So what do you guys think? I say we just give the keys to whoever wins in training camp. I think we should let Hass assume the position but if Locker over takes him, then let him start. I think people put too much emphasis on letting people sit. I agree that the first season they should be given the chance to learn from an established vet but if you give Locker a full offseason with the same OC, I think he will improve drastically! At some point you got to put them in and let them get burnt so to speak. Not to mention Locker seems very mature, so I doubt a little adversity is going to taint him forever!

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Easy for these guys to say after probably watching none of our games. F what they say, Locker deserves a real shot to win the starting job. Hasselbeck should not be given the job.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

It's an open competition come training camp, these cats what have any say.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

If I'm the Titans I have a true open competition. I also bring in a 3rd QB other than Rusty Smith. A guy that you truely think could be a backup QB. I do this because if Locker truely beats out Hasselbeck then you could consider trading Hass to a team that has a QB injury in preseason. I think it is important to have 2 decent QBs, but I also understand from a psychological standpoint getting rid of Hass would remove any QB contraversy. If Locker has a few bad games he wouldn't be looking over his shoulder and the fans wouldn't be calling for Hasselbeck. Trading Hass would also save us $$$ and get us a future draft pick. If Locker is ready then take the training wheels off and let him have at it.

A friend of mine was talking with Britt just after x-mas and Britt said he thinks Locker is ready and really likes the energy that Locker brings to the huddle.

5. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

An open competition is what it should be.

I can see it both ways. Hass is still the better option because of his experience and knowledge of the game, plus he will come into the season actually knowing the system. Locker is the better option because of his mobility and play extending abilities, plus he is the future and needs experience.

Hass could start and Locker take over when Hass gets hit too hard. Or Hass could be a great back-up to Locker. If Locker starts, he has a very tough schedule for his first season as a starter (this isn't necessarily a bad thing).

6. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

With these shorter rookie contracts, I think its a no brainer to start Locker this year. That said I think there should still be an open competition for the spot. Don't just hand things to Locker make him to continually work for it.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I personally don't mind starting 2012 with Hasselbeck as the guy again. If he had any help at all from Chris Johnson when he was struggling we'd be a 11-5 or better team. Offenses need a 1-2 punch and we rarely got both the passing game and the running game going together. If both phases of the offense can get going, Hasselbeck can be a really good QB.

If the running game sucks in 2012, we've got to go with the mobile QB. That will open the running game up quite a bit for C.J..

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Just imagine how good we would have been with a healthy Britt and a functional running game. I think we would have been 11-5 or better. I think a healthy Kenny is worth at least 2 wins.

Though I'm excited about Locker, we knew coming in he was raw and was going to need time to develop. I think you've got to stick with Hass, who played well last year with little to no running game. They were talking on the radio this morning and said the ideal situation for Jake to become the starter is a situation where they don't have to bench Hass. I think I agree with that.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Matt Hasselbeck certainly hasn't done anything to lose the job and Locker hasn't done anything to demand a change...

so I'd stick with Hasselbeck for the start of next season unless Locker just lights it up in the offseason.

10. gran54

gran54 Starter

Gotta agree with the majority here. There was a lot of hate on Hasselbeck at certain points of the season, but did the guy really have any help? Number 1 WR out for the year in Week 3 and basically no running game to grind drives out. I have faith in Locker, but he is still young and yet to play a full game. Solid up the running game and get all of our WR's healthy for a full year and our QB play will be much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar