Titans See Value in Dominating Defensive Line

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Giants showed the value of a superior defensive line in their Super Bowl victory. Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt believes a DL is key to a successful defense. "It’s a big priority because it allows you to stay in every game," Reinfeldt said. “And it behooves us to get as strong a defensive line as you can get, especially based on our overall coaching philosophy – control the ball, play good defense. And when you play a lot of close games, the defensive line is a key component for us." Of the NFL’s top seven teams in total sacks in ‘07, six of them made the playoffs. The Giants DL finished with only three sacks more than the Titans DL in '07 who ended the year with 36.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Interesting KVB quote in that article about making the DL/OL the top priority a GM needs to focus on.

As important as WR/TE/DE is going into free agency and the draft, if Olson retires and the Titans lose Bell, I think Amano/Mawae/Loper (or some such combination) will be a big step back. A strong interior OL is essential for our running game. Maybe Harris will be ready for a season at G before moving over to C when Mawae retires.

With the Titans window now open, it's time to get the right combination of bodies up front who can play together for the next few seasons.

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Lots of people were talking about how good our Oline was last year, but I thought it was pretty average at best and against good competition it looked real bad. People who want to blame Vince for everything need to open their eyes, this is a very bad football team that just doesn't have a whole lot of talent. And the talent they do have is very questionable including QB, CB and DT.

QB - Can Vince become a passer in this league
    CB - Can Pacman come back and keep his nose clean
    DT - Can Haynesworth continue to play at this level or will he become fat and lazy once he signs the big contract.

The draft and free agency should be about finding dependability and that means finding talent and character.

4. KingTitan25

KingTitan25 Guest

bad teams don't come close to the playoffs in 2006 then make it in 2007. vince is good. we just need to keep the ol solid, and add a playmaker wr. resign odom and al and add to them. we should be fine. i only see this team getting better each year. its a young talented team with experince now. all we have to do is add a few more pieces.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I disagree about the o-line. It's a bit of a question mark since we haven't seen Amano/Loper/Harris much, but the guys they are replacing are not great.

Olsen's feet are very slow now. He still has his strength, but he misses blocks because he can't get there. He's kind of the opposite of Bell, who has great feet, but gets pushed around maybe the most of any of our linemen.

Amano seems a lot like Olsen to me, but more athletic. I was really surprised by Loper. I rewatched those games where he got a lot of playing time, and he was very good. Quick feet, strong, opened lanes. It was only a small sample, but he looks like a solid OG if they want to give him the chance. And it sounds like they think highly of Harris.

We've always done well with drafting o-line in mid to late rounds and replacing guys. I'm not worried about the o-line.

If I'm investing, I'm putting more of the investment towards the d-line. I hope we do so in the draft.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We resigned amano, drafted harris with our first 4th rd pick last year. I would hope one of those guys can take over and play as well as the 37 year old mawae. Please tell me that our draft wasn't a total waste last year after griffen.

As for loper he walked in and played as well as olson in relief. He is a huge guy at 6'6 330 and not a downgrade. If harris can't beat out amano in the middle than we need to draft another center or guard.

I have stated this before but i'm under the belief that we need to guarantee our defense stays dominant.

7. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

very bad football team??? dolphins,ravens,rams, now those are bad football teams.. the titans are not even close to being as bad as those teams.. sounds like you need to open your eyes.. the titans went 10-6 last year and made the playoffs without one of our best players and i still say that if pacman was playing and chris hope wasnt hurt we would have beaten the chargers and went to new england..the titans are a good football team with young talent on both sides of the ball.. with a couple of upgrades and some more development of our young players the titans will be a very good football team and will be ready to take over the afc south again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar