Titans rumors from Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Even though new Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Vrabel has a defensive background, they are optimistic that Vrabel's hiring will help the growth of young franchise quarterback Marcus Mariota. Sources with the Titans say Mariota's regression with turnovers and a lot of his interceptions were related to poor route schemes from the former coaching staff. Said sources felt that receivers were bunched together too often and poor design led to a lot of Mariota's turnovers. Vrabel saw the success of Deshaun Watson last season, and the team is hopeful that Vrabel will bring similar plays to Tennessee for Mariota. That will be part of the discussion as Vrabel works toward hiring his offensive coordinator, which will be an absolutely critical hire for the organization.

Read more: WalterFootball.com: 2018 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill
    Read more at WalterFootball.com: 2018 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

• Sources with the Titans think it is likely that the organization will move on from veteran running back DeMarco Murray this offseason. They feel it is Derrick Henry's team now and that Henry is ready to be their bell-cow back. Tennessee can save cap space by releasing Murray, and staffers feel that Murray is on the decline. The 2018 NFL Draft is strong and deep at the running back position, so the Titans could get a good value with a backup to Henry in the mid-rounds.
    • Titans sources say that they fear that defensive end Kevin Dodd was a wasted pick by general manager Jon Robinson. They like Dodd as a player, teammate and worker, but they feel that Dodd is a square peg in a round hole in Tennessee. Dodd is a 4-3 defensive end and is a misfit in the Titans' 3-4 scheme. He has one sack and 12 tackles after 17 games. Unfortunately for Dodd, new head coach Mike Vrabel has a 3-4 background and Tennessee is expected to stick with that defense.

The slim hope for salvaging Dodd is that Vrabel and the Texans moved Jadeveon Clowney around from playing outside linebacker to defensive end a lot over the past two years because of the injuries to J.J. Watt. Clowney even lined up as an inside linebacker or defensive tackle at times. Perhaps Vrabel could resurrect Dodd by using him as an undersized five-technique 3-4 defensive end. Right now, Tennessee staffers fear that Robinson wasted the 33rd pick of the 2016 NFL Draft on Dodd.

Read more: WalterFootball.com: 2018 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill
    Read more at WalterFootball.com: 2018 Senior Bowl Rumor Mill

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

My concern with Henry is he never learns to block or he gets fat ala Lenwhale white. I hope I'm wrong and he can be a franchise back for a few years. I'd think 5 years as a cowbell back is a success.

Still need to find another back to use.

Like Dodd as a "player"? Is there enough NFL footage to even make that statement? Good call chalking it up to a total waste and moving on. Wonder if a 4-3 team has any trade value on him. Even a 7th.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

We need a lead back. Henry can stay in the four-minute closer role.

5. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

nothing super groundbreaking here but seems the FO is thinking exactly what we are thinking, that's good to see

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. bupac

bupac Starter

Expect us to draft an RB

7. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

The KC game was the only time I was really impressed with Henry. I just hope he can be that fired up every Sunday. I don't mind getting a veteran back like Jerrick McKinnon, his running style would be great for us; hits the hole, makes good cuts and reads, can also catch out of the backfield.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

the last point.. Henry either can't catch, or the coaches did not trust him as a receiver. Seems like he never got targeted, and a RB can be a valuable receiving asset.

Henry is far from a complete NFL RB. Totally a different runner than what he looks like. I expected him to be the tough RB, but he is the more dancy, find the edge type. At least it works a lot of the time.

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Murray has some of the best hands of any RB, and the coaching staff hardly took advantage of that. Hopefully the next staff shows some semblance of creativity.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yes. That is one thing that Murray was always incredibly consistent with, even when he sucked at running the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar