Breaking News Titans release CB Malcolm Butler

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Mar 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleBlue

DoubleBlue Highly Respected Poster

I remember he got off to a rough start his first season here but after that he was good for us. Hopefully all this cap space thats being created now is used better than last year on defence

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

The thing about free agents....

We all follow our team much closer than anyone else. So we see a guy give up a catch or miss a tackle or get a penalty and say that we can easily replace them. Then we find a free agent list somewhere and we say that they will be better and cheaper than our guy. Because they are a bunch of dudes we barely heard of that aren't missing tackles and giving up catches on our television....

But all these guys are free agents for a reason. They are either going to be expensive or they are just like our guy giving up catches and missing tackles and getting penalties and their team (and their fans) doesn't want them back.

3. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Yes, this is the case most years. But this year is different because of the cap situation. If this was a normal cap year, I am not sure we would cut Butler. But because so many teams have cap issues, there will cut players they normally would not. This means there will be far better players in free agency this year than there normally are. And it also means there will be far less money than normal in the pool for signing them. So this year, and maybe only this year, you can get solid free agents for a lower price. If players are smart they will sign one year deals. Some might be smart to sit out year. But cutting expensive players with a low cap hit is a smart move give the current situation.

4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

This is exactly why the opinion that a lot of 1 year deals will be made this offseason is bandied about a lot.

5. Carp

Carp Starter

Players don't get re-signed (or get outright cut) for a variety of reasons. Many times, it's because the previous team can't afford them. Other times, they have a capable replacement already on the team and have more pressing needs other areas. And even other times it's because a player wants to play in a certain market or for a particular team that is built for a SB.

So I wouldn't assume players getting cut or not re-signing with their former team means their former team doesn't want them or can't afford them. There are a lot of moving parts that go into these decisions.

#105 Carp, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. Carp

Carp Starter

I disagree. If a player can't get the long term deal he wants that he would normally get in a regular off-season, I would advise him to sit out a year, rather than a take a 1 year cushion deal and re-enter FA next year. If you're in the upper tier of talent (and aren't over 30) your value isn't likely to be affected much by sitting out a year (see Le'veon Bell). And we've seen numerous times how playing on a 1 year deal can cripple your value if you get a significant injury (unless you're Dak Prescott apparently)

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I was referencing the list on here a few pages back. It just didn't look very good.

Yeah, we can probably get the 4th cornerback from the worst team in the league cheaper than our #1 CB and captain. Does that make us better? Probably not.

8. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

There is a very real possibility that the Titans plan to resign King and go with Adoree, Fulton, Borders and King. All guys on the team last year. They may not bring in anyone else.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Carp

Carp Starter

I see.

I think there are a lot of solid options in FA at CB currently. And there's also the possibility we could bring back Butler at a reduced rate (though I think it's unlikely).

We don't need someone equal to Butler. We just need a solid corner at a reasonable rate and then spend the money saved on upgrading Edge.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Carp

Carp Starter

I would be totally on board with that. Draft another CB in the mid rounds to develop for a year or two and replace Adoree. If Aaron Robinson or Tay Gowan are available in round 3, we had better draft them.

#110 Carp, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar