Titans receivers revisited

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

No argument that Wycheck was a HUGE element in our offense, and a vital weapon. I just meant he wasn't our #1 receiving threat.

I think Wycheck was better than any TE we have now. However, having four of them, they are producing more than he did. Kinney had over 500, Troupe had over 500, Scaife had a little under 300, and heck, even good old Guenther had 13 yards (I really thought he had more). Anyway, I think we're just as set at TE, because we've gotten an amazing 1400 yards out of them. However, I'd gladly trade any three of them (as long as 1 was Guenther) for Wycheck.

As to how this adds to the original topic, I think the TEs are a huge weapon. If we didn't have so many options there, we'd be more worried about our WR corps. However, I think we've got a good group, plus great TE support, so I don't think we'll do anything else this year.

2. GoTitans3801

To see the passing game become productive? We were 9th in the NFL!

I do agree with you actually. We need a running game desperately. While we had the yards, we couldn't score, which was another reason we passed so much. I hope that gets fixed, and quick.

3. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

I should have said Wr become productive sorry, nice catch on the mistake. Our passing game came from the TE position.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Our TEs right now are better than the Wycheck days.
    The only reason a guy like Kinney or Troupe has not put up even bigger numbers is because they split time.

Kinney had 55 catches for 543 yards last year and is a much better blocker than Wycheck.

Troupe also had 55 catches for 530 yards and is a much better vertical threat than Wycheck.

Scaife had 37 catches for 273 yards.

Thats 147 catches for 1346 yards from the TE position.
    Kinney and Troupe were the 11th and 12th most productive TEs in the NFL last year. Scaith was 19th.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

well we have three talented TEs and Scaife was a real nice pick so late in the round.

6. GoTitans3801

Don't Forget Guenther And His 13 Yards!

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I agree.

As much as I hate to say this, MOST of our Redzone problems are coming in from the sidelines in the name of Fisher, IMO. Here's how it happens, we get the kick/punt, and for the next 8, 9 plays we mix it up. Screens, Runs, Passes, maybe a trick thrown in someplace. Then we get into the Redzone. That's when my 89 year old Grams calls and yells over the phone, "Eddie Right", then hangs up! She's right. They have been calling the same play since 2000. If it didn't work in 2000, didn't work in 2001, didn't work in 2002...........you get the point. It ain't gonna' work until you do something DIFFERENT. Fisher brain farts in the Redzone. Brilliance gets you into the Redzone, stupidity brings in the Fieldgoal Unit!:sad2:

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

How many roster spots did Wycheck use up.

This is kinda like STTNG took 3 characters (Number 1, Troi and that blond chick from season 1) to replace Spock - well not really like that at all but you get my point.

Yes I agree that Troup has more downfield presence than Wycheck - but he does not play in the backfield for numerous reasons, hey maybe this year though.

Yes I agree that Kinney SHOULD be a better blocker. I do not agree that he in fact is a better blocker cause he plays so soft as a reciever I find it difficult to credit him with being a good blocker. Kinney does line up as Hback on occasion, but not like Wycheck. Probably a change of emphasis there from the OC change.

But the gist of your statement that TEs are better now than when Wycheck was here is wrong

Now TEs are Kinney, Troup and Scaife.
    Then TEs were Wycheck, Kinney and Meier at the end.

Kinney is a wash so that leaves Troupe and Scaife being better than Wycheck and Meier and I just don't agree with that at all. Wycheck was an All-Star and all Troupe has is potential to be an All-Star. When he does that then you got a case.

The numbers from this last season were inflated. Either Chows O calls for constant dumps to the TEs under the LBs or McNair resorted to them as a last option. Either way the yards were often less than productive as far as moving the chains goes.

And don't forget that Wycheck was a very athletic TE in his prime. First real NFL game I attended Oilers vs Raiders in Memphis in 97 Wycheck hurdeled over a tackler for an additional 10 or so yards. I was sold right then.

9. GoTitans3801

I'd agree with that, GoT, though I will say Kinney wasn't as productive then, but maybe we were getting more blocking out of him then.

I will say, I think we're set at TE no matter what the comparison.

10. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Kinda like Troupe has hurdeled over a few tacklers?:brow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar