Titans Reach Agreement with G Scott

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smash, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

4 years / $19.5M does not equal 6 years / $36M. I'm getting tired of hearing this. This is not a "very very similar" price tag at all. $7M guaranteed does not equal $13M guaranteed. One amounts (on a two year average, cuz that's what they are) to $3.5M/year vs. $6.5M/year.

Yeah, we knew what we had in Bell, and determined a long time ago by his party ethic and agent-fueled bravado that he was going to get a big pay day, that overall he was not worth that big pay day coming from us. PLUS, it would send the wrong message to the locker room about the type of player that would get a long-term deal here. Forget whatever Albert Haynesworth has to say on the matter. And Bell is not the same caliber player on the o-line as Albert on the d-line.

Reinfeldt is doing what he was hired to do. Fill spots smartly. If we had signed Bell and Odom, and say, added Rogers or Corey Williams, or even Justin Smith, we would likely NOT be in a position to add a #1 WR should the opportunity come along. There is no pleasing some posters (not just picking on Alex1939, cuz he seems sort of reasonable). The Titans would be screwed taking advice from some of you.

The reason we are not being reactionary early in FA is we have a system and a core of players. Other teams have to spend boatloads because they don't have as many reliable parts on their teams as we do, and need to spend to give themselves that spark. FAs to them are like kindling -- they need to start a fire to catch hold and burn. They need vet leadership, consistency and other attributes. The Titans, while not returned to elite status, are a more complete team than many of the other NFL products out there. Overspending on guys like Rogers, Stallworth, Bell and Odom doesn't make us better (and I like retaining our own guys) -- it takes our money, opportunity to get better when it really could help, and tells the rest of the team the Titans are ready to panic. Even if we don't get another starting-caliber FA, we will be able to get Al's deal going, and maybe be ready to do the same for Roos/Stewart. And at some point soon we will do Bironas, Finnegan. I'm convinced we're doing the right thing, the right way.

Stay classy, Tennessee.

2. 32Tyler10

32Tyler10 Camp Fodder

Amen!

:beer2:

3. Titanmc

Titanmc Starter

Sporting News 3/5 Free Agent Issue

Has Scott ranked 11 in the top 25, Bell not in top 25.

Scott #2, Bell #3, in Guards.

Just their opinion.

4. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

How anyone can expect Tennessee to fix its pathetic woes in the pass-catching department when the front office overthinks itself out of more than one solid opportunity is beyond ridiculous!!!!

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't know. Have the WRs we have catch the balls thrown to them? Have Vince to continue to work on his mechanics? That stuff is "free" relative to what we already have invested.

"More than one solid opportunity?" If you're talking Stallworth and Berrian and Porter...those guys are not great WRs and never have been. The money won't make them better, either.

Seems like you've been stewing, but you could still use some more marinating on this topic before you get why they're "overthinking."

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm not sure how you are looking at it, but I'm looking at basically $5million/year vs. $6million/year. Isn't the guaranteed money pretty much out of the way after 2 years with Scott and 3 years with Bell?

Funny at the first part. I'm not sure it sends the "wrong message" to the locker room though.

Bell would've been an extra million from our cap this season, instead of signing Scott. Odom or Smith would take away about 7 million from our cap. Maybe we save the 2 million we are paying Kearse had we signed one of them. So net, we would have $6 million less in cap for this season. Why wouldn't we be in the position to add a number 1 receiver?

Hard to stay classy when we don't have the reputation of being classy. We treat our players like poop. We don't even let our Icons in the training facilities once we're done with em'.

I'm all for keeping the right core players, building primarily through the draft, etc. But haven't we done that? Aren't we now a core team that should be ready for a Superbowl run this season? I don't think re-signing Odom and signing one higher dollar free agent would significantly jeapordize our longterm future from a salary cap perspective.

Overall, we look to be better at TE, roughly the same at OL, and worse at DL after FA with nearly the most salary cap space in the league. I'm not saying that's awful, I'm just saying it's not amazing or great. It's ok, but with this team we should do better at this point so we can take the next step.

7. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Next post please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo noooooooooooooooooooooooo Justin McCareins for the love of god we need a number 1 receiver not a # 2 or 3!! me cague en la hostia cono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Why can't people get it through their thick heads. There were NO #1 WRs out there outside of Randy Moss, who a) wasn't leaving New England and b) would never come here to get 700 yards a season.

Seriously, it is not that difficult to understand.

10. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

:chuck:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar