Titans Re-Sign Lavelle Hawkins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If it's more than slightly above vet minimum then it wasn't a good move imo.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

It's just sad that we don't understand how to pay players the proper amount. I like Craig Stevens, but a 4 year/$15mil deal is beyond insane.

It's painful to think about stuff like this when I am positive we could offer half and they would still agree. Stevens was shocked to see the numbers. I have a feeling we have done the same crap with Hawkins.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

How do you know that Stevens wont be worth $3m/yr in 2 years? He very well could be worth that by then.

4. RavensShallBurn

First, it's $3.75mil a year... There's not an argument that could defend the insanity of that deal.

Second, he's not worth it right now, and that's all that matters. You don't give a guy a contract based on what you think he could be worth in a few years. You give him what he's worth now.

5. lee7786

lee7786 Practice Squad

I know I'm going against popular opinion here. However, I like the Hawkins extension. I like Hawkins over DWill ( or whatever we're calling him nowadays). Hawkins exhibited better hands and is more explosive than Damian Williams. He's got a great sense of where he's at on the field and picked up many crucial first downs for us last year. He fights hard for the yard marker. He's just more consistent than Williams, and I think he really turned a corner last year as a WR. I would like to see us pick up a guy that can play opposite of Britt, and also serve as insurance as an alternative number one receiver if Britt is not available (which at some point we know that will happen). I heard Munchack hint at that when he was interviewed on 104.5 the other day, and I was glad to here that. I don't feel extremely good about the wr core without Britt. There is no consistent down field, big play threat. Nate is good but he's not a number one receiver. So I hope they do get someone in their who can serve as insurance when Britt is not available. And when Britt is available, then the offense will be that much more explosive. I hope that they do their best to provide Locker with the best weapons that they possibly can. If we could guarantee that Britt will be 100% healthy the entire year, I'd say we'd be fine at WR, but I don't believe he will be and I don't want to go through the same scenario this year with just barley getting by.

6. Titans1981

Titans1981 Practice Squad

I'd like to give him another chance as well. This time with an off season

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This is a great signing for depth, I just don't want us to stop there as far as WR goes. I'm not saying go out and sign VJax or Colston but at least keep the idea of adding another solid WR on the table.

8. Titans1981

Titans1981 Practice Squad

Good points.

Hawkins and DWill are totally different body types and types of receivers. DWill is more of an outside guy and Hawkins is dangerous after the catch in the slot.

In 3 receiver sets. I see Britt as the Z receiver, Washington can be used as X or Y, DWill can backup Z or play X eventually if washington is moved to the slot. Hawkins can backup Y and X positions or be the 4th receiver if Cook is not being used Split out. Mariani is the returner and can play X in a pinch. Avery if resigned will be an X or Y receiver and probably a backup returner.

X o o o o o TE Y Z
    QB

TB

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

We either have a reputation for not paying our guys or we overpay them. You guys are maddening sometimes...

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. RavensShallBurn

Kerry Collins* - 2 year/$15mil
    Jovan Haye* - 4 year/$16mil
    Bo Scaife* - we franchise tagged this scrub and paid him $6mil in 2009.
    Chris Johnson - 4 year/$53.5mil
    Chris Hope* - second highest paid safety in the league in 2011
    Craig Stevens - 4 year/$15mil

*certified scrubs

How is it maddening to say we overpay players when it's clearly factual?

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar