Titans promote Downing to OC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

The truth is we don’t know if it was a good pick or a bad pick. There is such a small body of work in extenuating circumstances that there is not enough information to really pass judgment on him.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

It will be really hard for Downing and the Titans offense to put up numbers like it did this year....We all know that Tanny and Henry are due to regress a little because they both have been on such tremendous runs of exceptional play. Keeping continuity is important especially with an uncertain offseason...I’m totally fine with this promotion.

3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I just hope the new OC understands that taking Henry off the field on nearly every third down, tells the defense we are throwing the ball!

The titans OC should have been a very sought after job, when you consider that in the last 3 years, the last two are now Head Coaches of Packers and the Falcons.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Its interesting to see Vrabel make two safe, risk averse choices.

You'd think a guy who likes to take a lot of risky 4th down plays would maybe throw caution to the wind a bit more with his OC/DC selections.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

I dont know about the OC (dont know about the DC either) but I feel like Vrabel just wants a total yes man as the DC. Vrabel considers himself the DC and doesnt realize he sucks ass as a DC

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I don’t see Bowen as risk averse. Keeping him was a huge risk.

7. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Fair, and I agree. I commented somewhere else that Vrabels job comes into question in 12 months now, if the defence stays the same.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Although he occasionally flips the script entirely and goes more conservative than Jeff Fisher. Note the 4th and 2 punt.
    Sometimes it's inexplicable. I think Bowen falls into that category, not so much Downing, to me.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Why change a successful offense? Vrabel doesn't want to change anything and I can't say I blame him. He wants an OC who knows the scheme and personnel.

Same with his defense. It's 100% Vrabel's. Pees didn't come back because he didn't want to come out of retirement and not be in total control. Art gave him that opportunity.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

The O stays the same or improves with Downing, as it should.

If the D doesn't improve, Vrabel will be in the same situation as Mularkey, fire Bowen or youre done.

Like I've said Vrabel's ego will be the undoing of the D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar