Titans promote Downing to OC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Truthfully, Downing’s body of work as OC is too small to make an adequate judgement. One good year, one bad year. Regardless of why the regression occurred, we don’t really know all that much about how he will cal and make adjustments. Hopefully, he repeats all of the good Smith traits and improves on the weaker ones. I think we all pretty much feel we can make this work much easier than an internal defensive hire.

2. ropy0386

ropy0386 Starter

Wade phillips is an interesting name out there for DC
    So is Schwartz and Greg Williams. We NEED to blitz more. We NEED more aggression. Nobody was scared of the Titans D.

3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Greg Williams will never be here again. Doubtful on the other two as well. Both are good coaches, but don’t see it. I am not going to be a bit surprised to see Bowen made official. There have only been two coaches discussed Austin at DC and Hamilton at OC. I do not think it is a coincidence that both are black... and both th internal candidates are not. Call be cynical.

4. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

The problem is that the disparity is too great in recent years and teams are starting to show that they will sell out completely on first down to stop Henry.

If teams shut Henry down on first down, the offense basically falls apart as they are forced into obvious passing situations, something that does not play into the o lines strength regardless of injuries. Getting that run/pass number even down to 60/40 on first down should open things up a bit and even help take some of the load off of Henry who is racking up carries at an fast rate.

Good examples of what happens when Henry is shut down on first down were the Browns, Packers, and the Ravens playoff game. Last season, the notable game would have been the Chiefs playoff game.

5. SouthSide1

SouthSide1 615 STRONG

That is my biggest concern. Clearly that was our biggest problem on offense in addition to lack of creativity. We have enough weapons on offense to be better.

6. ropy0386

ropy0386 Starter

You're probably right. Trying to fill the rooney rule. Smh

7. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

It’s no coincidence.

I agree with your belief that Bowen will be officially named DC as I have come to believe this is as well.

Having said, I’m betting someone will be brought in to assist Bowen (Crennel comes to mind as his contract ends in Feb.) as an assistant head coach

8. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I think something like that is likely too. I think that’s was the thought on Pees and he found that uninteresting. If we were going full change at DC, Pees would have been brought back. For whatever reason, Vrabel appears to want to cultivate Bowen.

9. SouthSide1

SouthSide1 615 STRONG

You don't think we need a reboot or a tweak of this predictable offense? Our offense was what it was because we have the best RB in the league. It's no mystery that if you stop Henry the offense falls apart.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Eh, internal hires and the Titans just goes hand-in-hand.

My expectations are tailored. Hoping for the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar