Titans promote Downing to OC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I like it. Some dummy fans were calling for Lincoln Riley like he was going to give up $7.5 mil a year to be an OC. And I don't really want some veteran OC that is going to change everything up to do it his way. We have the pieces. Continuity is important. ...and the year he was OC in Oakland was the year that Amari and Crabtree were hot garbage and dropped everything.

Now DC is a different story. We need a reboot.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I don’t know, a 6 game swing from year one to year two is more than dropped passes. But, I hope it works out. He was clearly the best on staff pick. If we go Bowen again, I’m gonna need stronger meds.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

At least Downing has been an OC before (ranked 15th in passing, 30th in Rushing with the Raiders) and there will be continuity with the playbook and personnel.

One thing I am interested to see if there is actually any change in the run % on first down. This season, the Titans ran at a rate of nearly 65% on first down when the league average is closer to 50/50. In 2019, the Titans ran on first down at a rate of over 60% and in 2018 it was just under 60%. This has been a huge issue since Vrabel took over.

For comparison sake, under Mularkey the Titans were nearly even in terms of pass/run on first down. In both years the Titans threw the ball slightly more often on first down than ran it (like 49/51 or something)

4. Tricky

Tricky Starter

I'm ok with this. Wont be ok with an internal DC hire.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

As disappointing as this is in regards to hiring an OC from outside, it makes sense for continuity and the offense doesn't need alot of improvement.

The DC hire is where things will get improvement, hoping its not Bowen but I'm thinking it will be, such a Titans thing to do

Holding out hope its Jerod Mayo

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Just looking at stats between 2016 and 2017, I'm not sure how much of that is the offense. Janikowski dropped off in 2017. The defense got a lot of turnovers in '16 and nothing in 2017 (only 5 interceptions!). And so forth. Plus, Del Rio is notoriously someone that wears out his welcome.

I'm not saying that Downing should get this job based off his 2017 season, but I think he was something of a scapegoat and hopefully has learned over the last 3 seasons.

7. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

You do know that the Titans have the rushing champ 2 years running, right?
    Of course they run the ball a lot on first down...because, for the most part, it works.

I have no problem with DH getting the ball.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I have no problem with continuity. It's much better than firing coordinators every year and players having to learn everything all over again. We've been through that enough.

No one expected Smith to be a good OC but turns out he was good enough to get a HC gig, so I'll give this guy a chance.

I'd rather have someone who's been around the team a bit and a younger mind who may have some new stuff to throw in the mix than the same ol retreads that bounce around getting fired every other year.

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

If we pass around 50/50 on 1st down in 2021, that probably means that we were behind a lot.

10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

What Downing brings is continuity to the offense, experience in the system and as a OC. He has worked with Stafford and had success maybe he allows Tannehill to reach the next level?
    We know this offense goes when Henry does but maybe he will allow Tannehill to do more when the run has been taken away?

I don't mind this move, like its been said DC better not be Bowen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar