Titans promote Downing to OC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Go ahead and pick a 6 week sample to take out of this season to drastically change the Titans defense if that’s your weak argument lol I’ll wait

Even if you think it’s arbitrary it’s a clear indication that the Titans defense hasn’t been good since week 7 of 2019, and that was with the guru Dean Pees calling plays.

#121 Dman5TX, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

The point is you're removing a 6 week sample. So THill caused the D to get worse, I misunderstood on the previous post.

Since that's the case, you would agree that the D would have been better in 2019 if THill didn't play.

While picking those weeks to remove to prove the 2019 D was close to as bad as 2020, did you also factor in the key injuries to AJ25 (week 11) and Malcom Butler (week 9)?

And removing weeks to use as the overall body of work is not the point. The point is they have a 16 game schedule for a body of work. Picking and choosing specific games because of the QB, the opponent, whatever, is arbitrary for only the purpose of making an overall performance look better or worse. The 2019 D did in fact play weeks 1-6. It is part of their entire body of work.

3. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

No one is saying THill made the defense worse lol only you are saying that. I’m saying that once our offense became more explosive and we were no longer just trying to grind out a close win our defense fell off. Couple that with the fact that we played some downright horrible offenses to start the year it’s reasonable to assume the first 6 weeks were an outlier.

I’m not picking random games lol it’s a stretch of games where the Titans were playing their best football!!!

I was the one last year saying that our defense went downhill bad after the Butler injury lol so I’m well aware of the injuries that occurred. None of that changes the facts. This defense has been bad for much longer than 2020 and for the majority of Pees time as playcaller in 2019.

4. HurrayTitans!

In general we are completely in agreement. I know I'm busting b**ls about how the D is affected by THill's performance and how the O improving can negatively affect the D.

And overall, despite a lot of posts regarding 2019, I think this is just somewhat of an exaggeration on how "good" people were saying that 2019 D was. If anything, I really see it as more of an argument to how absolutely awful the 2020 D was. No one is really suggesting 2019 was good, just better than 2020.

And for where our actual disagreement might be (not just you and I, but others too) is that the 2019 D may have been close enough to middle of the pack, to make the 2020 Titans as a whole, potentially SB bound. Instead, they got the 2020 D.

I think we both can agree that if we had the 2018 D, the chances are even more improved. The Butler and Jackson injuries were pretty crucial in 19'. Not having Ryan for depth and Jackson all season in 20' was at least equally as painful.

I think you have to include those first 6 games for the overall body of work still. If nothing else, it helps prove how detrimental the injuries to Butler and Jackson were.

5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Lol so you do just like to argue then.

I don’t think our defense last year was middle of the pack. We still had the same issues we had this year. No pressure and secondary was very suspect after the injuries much like this season. The only area I think we truly were much better was against the run (other than 3rd down).

I just don’t understand why people think Dean Pees was the missing ingredient when we struggled with the same exact things last year. It was worse this year for sure but we lost to KC last year because of the same defense we saw all of 2020. No 3rd down stops and no QB pressure.

6. HurrayTitans!

I do enjoy debate, yes. Especially after the season is over.

ya, lack of pressure has been a huge problem, seems like going on years now. I thought the secondary was pretty good, much like 18' until the injuries. Once Ryan was by himself, they started to look really bad.

I don't really get the Pees thing either. It kind of reminds me about the Lebeau years except Pees doesn't have the same track record. Old guy, had SOME success, then the D took a step in the wrong direction so Pees must be the answer to get back at least to where we were is where the thinking may be.

Personally, I think just like Fisher leaving, ya, we could get worse, but there is room for plenty of improvement. Titans just have a way of avoiding those people that bring the improvements.

That KC game in the playoffs is tough. We can't overlook that no matter what D we have, they are still a really, really good team. TB yesterday played outstanding and happens to be good anyway. We can look at the "game of inches" part of football and sometimes 2-3 plays make the overall difference. had the Mahomes TD run before half had the ball pulled away another couple inches, the entire outcome very well could have been different, type of thing.

We didn't have the D to beat them, but we did have the D to stick with if that makes sense. We play them in 20' and I think they "GB" us. in 19', we hold them to just enough that our offense should be able to keep it close. At least that's kind of how I see it. our Offense didn't really step up that game either.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Vrabel had some high praise for Todd Downing, who was promoted from tights ends coach to offensive coordinator to replace Arthur Smith. "I think he has a great understanding of our offense and what we are trying to do, having really assisted Arthur as a tight ends coach but also someone who could help him. Todd has called plays before... He was a large part of what we did in the red zone, and his knowledge and his passion, and again, I think he did a great job with the (tight ends) unit that he had." Vrabel made it clear the offense, despite finishing 2nd in the NFL last season while averaging 31 ppg, needs to find ways to improve this offseason. "There were games where we didn't play very well," Vrabel said. "We have to play better against elite defenses - Chicago and Green Bay, we didn't play very well. The second Ravens game, Pittsburgh ... there's some things we have to do better and I am confident that we will."

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Interesting he admitted specific games where the OFFENSE needed to play better. Didn’t quite get there on the defensive talking points.

#128 Chronos, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

Vrabel: The defense won't change!!

10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Vrabel really kinda threw Art under the bus a little in his comments and gave Todd more credit for last years red zone success. Interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar