Titans Positional Analysis: CB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Finnegan is our teams number one corner. Yes, he will make mistakes and he will never be a Revis or Nnamdi, but he gets in people faces. It's a battle for any wide receiver that goes against Cortland and you know he'll give 110% 24/7. He is a great leader and I still think he is the primary leader on our defense.

McCourty is a 'nothing special' type of number two corner. He doesn't make many mistakes, if any, but he also doesn't make a lot of plays. McCourty is the safe option to put on a receiver because you know he will cover pretty well but there is still the nagging doubt to whether he will make a play on the ball when the time comes.

Verner is basically the opposite specimen to McCourty, Verner is a streaky corner with big play ability. He can cover pretty well already but has a lot to learn about not giving up big plays. He is a guy that I really like and has a chance to be a fantastic player for us. I loved some of the plays he made last year and in the Denver game he was awesome in his first start.

Mouton needs to go, he makes way to many bad plays. The first one that comes to my head from last season is when he took out Griffin giving Austin an easy long yardage TD for Dallas, the guy needs to be replaced.

I don't know about any of the others, but i'll hear more about them when we finally get a training camp.

Edit: Oh...and Rod Hood is done. I don't like him over Verner or McCourty and think he's a liability in terms of his injury issues. No thank you.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Keep in mind that Verner was in his first year and McCourty only in his second and he got hurt early. I think with a little seasoning both those guys can be effective CBs. With experience they will minimize the mistakes and be more consistent. I remember Dyson his rookie year getting toasted when he had to play but he settled down and became a decent CB.

One area they need to get settled on is NB. They need someone to step up and take over that role. I thought that was a sore spot last year. I actually thought we would be better off last year moving Finny inside in those situations and letting McCourty and Verner stay on the outside neither of the young guys played well as a NB but could hold their own on the outside.

3. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Yeah, Verner will get better. He was really good for a rookie CB. That's a great sign. Yes, he's not fully consistent yet. That's another reason to dislike the lockout, of course, since he could be getting more practice right now. I was hoping he'd get a full offseason. Didn't he actually come in a bit late last year? I mean I think he missed some OTAs because of school getting out later for him.

4. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Finny - I really like this kid and because he had a down year with a down team, he is getting a lot of stig. I agree that he is not a Rives-eche player, but he is closer than most think. He is a top 4-8 corner in this league from the view of most analysts over the years he's started and prior to our 'dip' last season was playing well - forget about stats, i watched every game. And his mentality is a whole different story - great kid off-field, baller on-field every game, hell every play - WR's mark the days they will face him.

Now i will say that his play has actually dipped shortly after when he started getting some recognition- but i dont think that was the reason. Prior to this, we had a stout defense with much better QB pressure (some games constant, especially those last two 'Big-Al.KVB' years). Also, he was playing in his natural position. He only recently switched to the other side (post nick harper era) and i think he will hold it down for the coming years when he gets some more practice at it (also assuming we get some pressure and stop the run - he bites on play action, ESPECIALLY when the team is struggling against the run, as do our safeties).

People keep talking about Revis and Nnamdi, but the thing is with Revis he plays for the jets. i dont watch so many non-titan games b/c i have to stream everything, but the games i do watch their rush is so fierce (even with just 4/5 rushers) that covering sometimes is a so easy (and actually the times it wasn't i myself saw revis get burned on a some plays). Again, when we had such a rush, Finny was basically 'lock-down.' In Nnamdi, who i think is every bit as good as Revis, played for a team where the WR on the other side was open. Its very hard to cover every play when they just dump it to the other side. In this now 'pass-happy' league, pass rush is everything just ask nnamdi...

Verner/McCourty - I like them. In their first/second year, i saw lot of potential. Someone made a comparison to Andre Dyson, which i think is very relevant - a good CB not just 'decent' in my eyes actually and please give them some time to develop they could be even better. i think they will both become very good players to play CB #2 and NB, almost interchangeable. Fuller was holding, check that dominating our NB spot for years (hordes of CBs were drafted to unseat him and it never happened), and these two were able to unseat him quite quickly.

With saying that i am very worried. CB position is a hard one in the NFL, and the longer this lockout extends the worse it is for such a position at such an age - and change in defense scheme again wont help.

Rod Hood - i want him back, his play was very good for a backup when he came in. granted when he played he was up against harper who was a joke towards the end...i remember those days every week a new thread came out calling for his head - it was so bad even fisher ran out of excuses for his play.

Yes he is 30 and coming off an ACL, which is kryptonite in the NFL, but that will make him very cheap. Also, from what i read about his past he's got a great work ethic and there is no reason to think he cant bounce back for a couple years. Im not saying he's a starter, but he's got experience and knowledge and we need teachers for Verner/Mouton - KEEP HIM ARE U KIDDING, even if he doesn't play, he will help in more important ways.

The Rest - i've written enough but i will comment on mouton who yes i agree is not good - i was crying against the pats (it was also mccourty's fault, as much as the whole teams, but i saw a lot more potential from mccourty during his time, especially recently.)

As for the FA list, there are some good names too. Personally, Carr would be my most realistic option that i actually like. And i'm too lazy to describe why, i feel like i've written an essay plus its already been talked about and i agree with what has been said.

5. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

i don't see the need for us to get another CB... i like our group and it wasn't entirely their fault that we tanked last year in pass coverages.... if we dont get pressure on the QB... then we deserve to get burned every play... seriously, letting manning basically sit back and drink tea while our line tries to get to him pretty much guarantees a 30+ yard pass... no matter who you got at CB... it all starts from the line folks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar