Titans Playoff Predictor

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

Wrong. If Pitt loses both, and we lose both, we get in if Carolina beats Indy. It's a pretty cool dummy-helper. You should try it.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Just for tiebreaker explanation because I too didn’t go far enough,

If pit and Ten both end 8-8 (and no one else does either)
    Conf rec is both 6-6
    Like opponents both 3-2
    Strength of victory is next - ten .446, pit .308
    Tennessee gets in.

If they both end 9-7
    Pit either game will end conf rec 7-5.
    If ten beats NO, loses Hou, conf rec is 6-6
    Pit is in
    If ten loses NO, beats Hou, conf rec is 7-5
    Ten gets in

If they both end 10-6
    Pit conf rec 8-4
    Ten conf 7-5
    Pit gets in.

This does not add if Cleveland, IND, or oak we’re to also tie at 8-8 or if Tennessee were to win division.

All that said, the NO game still matters for division only. Currently both Hou and Ten are 1pm games

Edit: I’ll also add that it doesn’t matter which game pit loses, the tiebreakers stay the same.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

Houston plays Saturday. Titans will know Saturday evening if they have a chance to win the division. If Houston beats Tampa Saturday, NO means nothing on Sunday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. formerfinfan

formerfinfan Starter

So you’re basically saying theres almost no way that Pitt can lose one of their last two road games, and no way we can beat the Texans at home?

5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I didn’t go through all the 8-8 scenarios/tiebreakers.

I’m sure it would be preferred that Tennessee does not drop into a tie with Indy, Cle, or Oak.
    That might be the reason why a win over NO has value.

6. formerfinfan

formerfinfan Starter

mberglo- i have yo add you to the logic fail list.

You see, picking a scenario where the NO game doesnt matter, DOES NOT EQUAL the NO game not mattering.

Because no one knows what is going to happen, you always try to give yourself the best chance to advance.

Beating NO gives us a path that we dont have if we dont beat them. Yes, other things MGHT happen that gets us in, but that is not the same thing as NO not mattering.

Let me give you a scenario: Pit loses both games, Indy wins 1, and we lose to the Texans.

At this point, New Orleans matters! If you went up the Titan coaching staff and said the NO game doesnt matter because there are still ways we can get in the playoffs if we lose, they’d look at you like you were from Mars.

By that “logic” the Texan game Sunday really didnt matter, did it?

7. MsgBoardJesus

MsgBoardJesus Starter

But they still have to win at Houston unless the Steelers lose out. If the Steelers lose out, the Titans win the tie breaker at 8-8 if they also lose out.

If Houston wins, the Saints game does. Not. Matter.

8. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Special Teams Standout

Looking at it that way of course there is a chance so maybe the doom and gloom forecast is a little too strong on my part here, just felt like if we had beaten the Texans the path was almost certain, here we are relying on so many moving parts and that has rarely worked in our favor before. With Pitts QB situation anything is possible, but their D is very good so expecting the woeful Jets to beat them isn’t a good bet for me, if the Ravens have something to play for then sure they will likely lose that game. The best way for the Titans to assure themselves a playoff berth is to win out. There’s where the worry comes in...

9. MsgBoardJesus

MsgBoardJesus Starter

There’s one scenario where the Saints game matters, and that’s if both TEN and PIT lose out and the Colts manage to go 2-0.

The odds of all of that happening aren’t even worth discussing, and either way, the Texans game is still there for us to win.

This isn’t ****ing rocket science, dude. And I don’t even know what you’re going on about later in the post. I was talking about the game not mattering in terms of playoff scenarios, not the game not mattering at all. Of course the team and fans want to win the game. I guess you choose to argue semantics because you don’t have an actual point.

#69 MsgBoardJesus, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  10. 8and8

8and8 Starter

To recap, Saints game is not meaningless even if Texans beat Bucs.

Problem is we won’t know if it is meaningless or not until after week 17. If Texans beat Bucs and we think our best chance to get in is by having a healthier team to help us get a win against the Texans, then we should rest some players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar