Titans plan to let Jake Locker do more

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans quarterback Jake Locker was handcuffed for the most part in the preseason opener.

The fact that he didn’t throw many passes downfield was by design, coach Mike Munchak said on Friday. The result was a ho-hum 7-of-11 outing for 58 yards.

The plan is to let Locker do more in the next two or three preseason games.

“We just took what they gave us and didn’t force things that weren’t there,” Munchak said. “There will be plenty of opportunities to throw the ball down the field as we go into the next game.”

The starters, who played 20-22 snaps against the Redskins, could play as many as 30 against the Bengals next Saturday, Munchak said. The starters will play into the third quarter of the Week 3 game against the Falcons at LP Field.

Locker started poorly against the Redskins — his first pass was nearly intercepted — and he’s started slowly in training camp practices as well. The Redskins also sacked Locker twice.

“We’re not worried about it,” Munchak said. “… He had some pressure early — the first couple of passes we didn’t block very well, and had breakdowns — and that’s why we kind of got away from the pass there, and the run game was producing. … And we had some drops that could have been some big plays.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

The idiocy of this coaching staff never ceases to amaze me. Why must they handle Locker with kid gloves, I just can't understand this? He's a big boy, he can handle some adversity.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know what else you would say.

No point in ripping apart the QB that your job (munch's job) basically hinges on.

4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Nice!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

You don't want to hurt his confidence. That's the worst thing for a young QB.

As long as we score points it doesn't matter how we do it. The running game looked very strong last night and I'm expecting us to lean heavy on it during the season. If teams stack the box it'll make it much easier on him and will allow him to gain some confidence and transition better.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

What is this confidence you speak of? You have to achieve something on the football field to build confidence right? If they keep handling him with kid gloves how will he ever build confidence, especially when his coaches tell him they don't want him to force things. If the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in Locker do you think that makes Locker feel confident? Not only that, but he's a 3rd year QB, don't you think he has enough experience to not get crushed if he throws some interceptions? If we don't give him the opportunity to fail by actually throwing the ball down field, we're never going to know what kind of player he can be. When you fail, you work harder to get better and in the process overcome your past failures; that is what builds confidence.

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

This is completely my opinion and I have reason to back it up, but locker has anxiety problems at the beginning of practice/games.

There are numerous and consistent reports dating back to college that he would start off cold and then kinda turn it on. These symptoms are still alive even in practice now days. Reports he started bad, then caught on and was putting up good numbers...

I think he gets jittery at the beginning of games and it really affects his ability to play. The best way to over come this issue is give him a solid run game (check) and let him dump it off for a few first downs on the initial couple drives (check). Once that is complete he is a bit more warmed up and ready to play at a higher level. Settled into the game and has had some success moving the ball and hopefully putting points up.

When those things are in place, locker will shine given the right plays and calls. I think this is EXACTLY what we are doing. Make him understand he doesn't have to put the team on his back (like as UW) and that we will lean on the run and simple reads to get him in rhythm... This will create awesome opportunities to make him shine as well.

loggains has a long history of being a coach even back to his walk on college days. Doing absolutely everything in his power to help players succeed. He's got a knack for it. He's smart as hell, and I think he's created an offense Taylor made to make locker feel comfortable. Something Palmer didn't even bother with... (Get out there and throw son!!!!, Run game? the packers don't have a run game!!!!)

• High Five High Five x 6
  8. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

Titans better throw 80%the of the time next 2couple games or this preseason is a failure for lockers development

9. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

If we can't let Locker loose in the preseason, then when exactly is a good time to let him loose?

Let him go crazy during this time.

10. GrandMajesty1

GrandMajesty1 Special Teams Standout

Great post "Head On A Swivel." Finally, a fan that says it correctly. That was the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard from a HC regarding the "why" his QB played the way he did. Almost as ridiculous as some of my post that some on this site have stated.

"We took what they gave us?" Meaning, we were out coached and our opponent played better defense against our pre-season week 1 "first teamers." Jake Locker isn't a rookie Coach Munchak, he doesn't have to be protected!!! You have a very good wide receiving core, and apparently signed a player in Rod Turner who played almost every position and every game last year on the offensive line for the Rams last year. How long has Mike Otto been playing with the Titans???

You right, my opinion never makes any sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar