Titans perfectly happy with Crumpler's production

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- When they signed Alge Crumpler, it looked like a very big deal for the Titans.
    But with Tennessee at 5-0, his contribution on the stat sheet hasn't been what most would have expected. He caught the game-winning touchdown in Baltimore on Sunday, but it was just the veteran tight ends' seventh catch in five games.
    We can't complain about his production considering the undefeated record. And it would make sense that he's a less necessary safety-valve option for Kerry Collins than he would have been for Vince Young.
    "Really it's what I envisioned," offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger said. "Sunday we tried to get him the ball on a deep crosser and Kerry threw it into the ground, he just missed him, he was wide open. Out of all the things we've been doing, Alge should probably have two more catches where he was wide open where he should have been the first progression."
    The Titans leading receiver is their other pass-catching tight end, Bo Scaife. He's got 20. Four others also rank ahead of Crumpler: Justin Gage (12), Chris Johnson (12), Brandon Jones (11) and Justin McCareins (eight).
    "It's not like we're the St. Louis Rams in their Super Bowl years," Heimerdinger said. "That's just how it's spread out."
    Jeff Fisher has said that the coverages the Titans have been seeing simply dictate more throws outside. With an eighth defender in the box, the middle is more crowded and the better matchups are on the perimeter with receivers.
    "A lot of what we're facing offensively is a three-deep contour on defense because of our ability to run, so the first read ends up going outside to the wide receivers," Fisher said. "Kerry is making quicker decisions and getting rid of it. But it will come. It comes. (Crumpler's) numbers will come. He's a very unselfish player, he's blocking very well, he's a big part of our offense."
    Two scouts I spoke with recently both said they think Crumpler can still be an effective pass catcher like he was for so long in Atlanta.
    Crumpler has been a consummate team guy, not complaining one bit, very happy to be part of a healthy, winning atmosphere after the circus he endured last year in Atlanta because of big stories involving Michael Vick and Bobby Petrino.
    "At some point, the cracks are going to come," Crumpler said. "I have no doubts I'm going to get my chances."
    There is no cause for him to be concerned about his opportunities in the offense, Heimerdinger said.
    "When you come in on Wednesdays in installation, if you see there are no passes where you have a chance to even get a ball, then you start to worry," Heimerdinger said. "As long as you're in the progressions, as long as you're there, then it depends on how people play us and how they cover it. There is nothing we have designed that says 'Don't throw it to Alge here.' He's definitely in it. The ball's just going other places."
    General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said he still counts Crumpler as very productive based on his work as a blocker and the leadership he's brought to the offense.
    "Everything he does helps you win football games," Reinfeldt said.

More...

2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Time to get him off the field. Scaife should be seeing more action. :eek:

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

scaife is on the field more than alge is. bo is in when it's third and long, not crumpler.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Alge will come up huge for us when it counts.. definitely in the playoffs.

I'd much rather see the ball thrown his way when the game is on the line, than any of our other 'ball catchers'. Just because we're not letting him out of the box doesn't mean he's a failure. I'd much rather we keep him a non-factor for the remaider of the season and then surprise defenses with him in the playoffs. Just because he isn't getting the ball thrown his way doesn't mean he's a bust.

Again.. i guarantee he'll be huge for us soon enough.
    Patience my good fellow fans. Patience.

I bet the hairs on butt that by offseason we'll be seeing many new Alge sigs and avatars. Well that is if anyone wants to take up that bet.

5. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

haha:moon2:

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Crumpler has been doing fine this year.

7. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

Strategically Crumpler being listed as the starter and IMO has been used as a diversion to open up the TE position, so defenses have keyed on Crumpler not Scaife. Both TE’s play an important part in our offence and compliment one another.:beer2:

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We need to worry about our WRs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar