Titans Payroll Ranked #32 In 2005

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Riverman,
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think KVB is the opposite example. The guy had some major injuries, and his original team let him go. The titans signed him to a one year cheap contract and he over performed by a landslide. The Titans did sign him to a better contract, but it was not the most money he could have gotten. Sorry, I don't have a link, but he said/others said about him, that he could have gotten a little more money from other teams, but the Titans gave him his shot and he was willing to stay for below his max value. KVB was loyal to the franchise, not the paycheck. He's the example of the guy who really earns his big reward, but doesn't have to get every penny or leave.

2. KVB didn't sign for below market value. He got a pretty damned big deal, with lots of guaranteed money, for a guy who had a history of knee injuries and just 1 good year under his belt. Plus, he also signed before he knew the salary cap was going to go up.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I have no problem with the way the Titans handled McNairs departure. The Titans were correct about Kearse and I believe they will be proved correct about McNair also.

FM playing those last few games while Todd Williams was healthy and available still dumbfounds me. There was zero downside to benching FM and seeing what anyone else could do.

But yes FM was a team player in that instance, and why would he not be he was at the end of a +30m contract where he was at best an average RT.

I don't expect Titans to play for significantly less than top $, I do expect guys like Jason Fisk to stay for just a few dollars less than top $. I still think there had to be more to Fisk leaving than anyone knew.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

by not being on constant look out for a better paying job I am in fact showing loyalty to my employer. If another company out of the blue offered me a significant raise, even with even commutes ect., the money would only be a part of any considerations I would factor. Comparing average Joes with NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL contracts is really not valid for any number of reasons.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I agree the more I ponder it Reese seems to be the guy who has not done his job. Every GM will have some draft picks flop, goes with the territory. Reese has developed too many man crushes on combie/workout warriors instead of guys who might not run quite as fast in shorts but can play the game.

Then there is the whole other issue of Titans free agent acquisitions. Again at best Reese is average in this, partly due to his CAP manipulations to keep the 1999 team together for too long and partly due to his bad judgement both in acquisition (Pickens, Jenkins and Comella) and his allowing to depart (Neal and Runyon)

Again just one guys opinion.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Again for clarification.

I would say I want FOOTBALL PLAYERS who want to be TITANS not athletes who want to be paid by the Titans. I never stated I would perfer only guys who would play for the minimum. As far as I am concerned the Titans have offered guys like George, Kearse, the gaggle of 6 mentioned above, Bishop, ect. fair market contracts. They CHOOSE to move on out of greed and lack of loyalty.

And don't get me started about Peter "No Maas" Sirmon and his lack of loyalty. He should have been given his release the minute after his faxed resignation hit Reeses office. Sirmon - Slow, Overpaid and Gutless

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

1. I'm sure to would have an agent representing your best financial interests if your job paid like NFL contracts do.

2. You are the one who is comparing major league with average Joe's by introducing the "loyalty to employer" concept. ]

3. You should be looking for the best offer for you services. IMO, testing the market is not being disloyal at all, as long as you communicate clearly with all parties involved. IMO, not assessing your own worth (market value) is bad business on your part.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Starkiller,
    I didn't mean that KVB took an unfair contract. I think he took a perfectly decent market contract. But he didn't test the market to see if he could get more, which I think he could have, and several people at the time said he could have gotten more. If he'd waited until the salary cap went up he definitely could have gotten more. I think the Titans offer was fair and reasonable, and he's certainly earning some nice change, but he would rather take the Titans' fair offer than try to get the best he could on the market.

9. But most of the guys that GoT brought up as being disloyal were not free agents. They already had contracts with the Titans. He expected them to take paycuts.

As for KVB, he liked Nashville and the Titans. It was worth it for him to stay with a fair deal even if he potentially could have gotten more. Not all players would necessarily prefer Nashville over another city given similar money. Look at John Runyan, who went to Philly because his wife's family lives nearby.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree some of the FA signings in the past have not been good. Reese was really out of the FA business for the last few years so lets hope he learned something before and picked some gems this time. I think the guys we picked up this time are solid, reasonable $ and good team players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar