Titans OTA observations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

Heheheheh...and you though you were a sole supplier.

If you only tried to be a bit open minded you'd realize that talent comes in different packages, and not having the body you like does not necessarily mean he´s not working hard. I don´t know where it says that football players have to be built like greek gods to prove they're working hard. I think your "common sense" is playing tricks on you. Anyway, when Lendale is running just imagine he is one of the Ken dolls in your collection. :grrhee:

2. From-the-stands

From-the-stands Starter

The intense loathing of LenDale doesn't seem rational, for sure. No ones saying he should be the starter or anything, just just trying to give him some credit for a good year. We didn't win 13 games by CJ and great defense alone, others: Collins, Gage, White for example, were vital to our success.

Maybe they hate his hair.

3. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

:toast:

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

He may be working hard in the film-room, but he's obviously not working hard physically. Burning enough calories to keep weight off should be VERY easy for an NFL player, unless they're purposely keeping the weight on (OL/DL)....or in LenDale's case, not working like they should.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Ha!

"Uh, I remember a couple of plays where he failed at something..." isn't a very good argument. People say that he can't break tackles, but he's definitely had plays where he's done that, it just isn't what he's known for. I'd say he pulls a defender along with him an extra couple of yards much more than he breaks tackles, but that's still a valuable skill. I'd agree that he's mostly an inside, short distance RB. However, his body of work the season before last showed that he's capable of being the full time RB. His breakaway run against the chiefs showed that he's capable of breaking one.

No one is arguing that he's a top tier, full time back. However, it's a little silly to say that anyone can do what he does, or that he's not a decent running back in this league. He's done a lot of good things, along with the frustrating things, so it's strange to see how strong your feelings have been against him.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Different people's fat/muscle ratio are affected in very different ways. We don't know about the offseason, but surely during the season you'd acknowledge that he's working just as hard as the rest of the team? He's not sitting there during practice, and he's getting game time on Sundays. It's more likely that he doesn't build muscle or lose fat as easily as others do, and he keeps the fat during the season when he builds the muscle.

Most of this is speculation, so we can't say that anything is fact, but I don't think it's nearly as clear cut that he's a heavy guy because he isn't working.

You really think someone going through an NFL practice regimen isn't working hard physically?

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

So you don't like him because he could be better but then again he can't. Now I'm really confused. :hang:

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

LenDale is known for not practicing. So, no, he's not working hard physically.

I think the whole "genetics" argument for LenDale is a little far-fetched. Anybody with a little hard work & dedication can lose weight. People a lot less physically gifted than LenDale do it every week on the 'Biggest Loser'.

I'm not saying LenDale should be cruising into camp at a chiseled 205. But he should realistically be around 220, with a significantly lower body fat percentage.

And, on a side note, just because he's lost 20 pounds doesn't necessarily mean he's in shape. Mike Williams lost somewhere around 30 pounds last off-season and still came into camp in terrible shape. Not saying LenDale isn't going to be in shape, just food for thought.

9. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

During the season he is working hard absolutely, but that is besides the point. The kind of shape he comes into OTA's and camp at directly impacts the maximal level of "shape" and conditioning he can achieve during that season. That is why the players are stressed to maintain some level of shape all year round and not let themselves go.

Why is it more likely that he doesn't build muscle like others and naturally holds more fat than others? What do you have to base that on? He ADMITTED in an interview that he hasn't worked as hard as he could have in the past. That came out of his own mouth.

It's not speculation. Go back and look at videos of Lendale at USC, he was much trimmer and had more speed. Every offseason his weight has been an issue because he would come into camp quite heavy. Has he still produced? I would say so, but I would also say he could have been much much better had he dedicated himself conditioning wise years ago.

Nonetheless, as a Titan's fan, I'm glad to see him more focused as that bodes well for the Titans. I'm actually not so certain that him being lighter will make him a better NFL RB, particularly in his role on the Titans unless it makes him considerably quicker and unless he has also gotten stronger in the process.

10. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

Got it. He's not working hard.

He lost 20 pounds, so he IS working a litte hard and being dedicated.

Ok, so losing weight is not important being in shape is.

:boom:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar