Titans Offseason. Hopes, Dreams and Desires

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoodCat, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodCat

GoodCat Starter

We have reached that point where a few right moves could really put us over the top.

I think JRob has already made the best move of the offseason with the changes in the coaching staff. Now we have FA up next followed by the draft.

Obviously moves that are made in FA will affect what happens in the draft, but my thoughts on how to approach the remainder of the offseason are as follows:

Current Roster:
    -First of all we need to let DeMarco Murray walk. He has been solid, but it’s time to let Henry be the lead back, and freeing up 6.5 mil in cap would be huge.

- Let Eric Decker walk. He did not produce as expected last season, and even became a liability towards the end of the year with dropped passes.

- Avery Williamson. I’m back and forth on this one. I tend to lean towards letting him walk unless we can get him on a team friendly deal. He is solid against the run, but a liability in coverage, and that was a problem for this defense when it came to covering backs and tight ends.

- Ryan Succop. Don’t let this man go anywhere!

- Josh Kline. Bring him back, but don’t overpay.

Free Agency:
    - Test the waters on Trumaine Johnson. Could be due for a large payday. Don’t overspend but at least see what it might take to get him.

- Call up NY and see what it would take to bring Eli Apple here. We all know the reasoning and connections here. I think adding a solid outside corner like Johnson or Apple (I’m not high on Malcolm Butler) and allowing Logan Ryan to slide back into the nickel spot would do wonders for the secondary.

- Sign Andrew Norwell or Justin Pugh.
    I am favoring Norwell here for sure, and I think paying him top market dollar would not be a mistake.

- Sign Jarvis Landry or Sammy Watkins
    Landry would be a perfect compliment to Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor in my opinion, but may command too high of a price tag. I wouldn’t go over 13 or 14 mil a year, but would entertain the thought. Very solid hands with excellent short route ability (hello screens and 3rd down conversions!) Watkins could link back up with LaFleur on a very friendly deal. I’m a believer in Watkins and this could be the way to go to save a little on cap. Explosive receiver with elite RAC ability.

- Test the market for Sheldon Richardson
    Elite talent that could come at a discounted price. Pass rush is a need. More so from the OLB spot but I think that can be addressed in the draft, and Richardson could dominate on the other side of Casey.

- Test the market for a safety. Wether it’s Morgan Burnett, Kenny Vaccaro or Eric Reid I think if you can bring one of those guys in to potentially replace Cyprien it is worth entertaining. Especially Reid because of the potential discount because of the protest and Collin Kapernick effect.

Draft:

Like I said before, the free agency period will determine the moves that are made in the draft.

- DRAFT SONY MICHEL!!!
    I can not stop thinking about a 1-2 punch of Henry and Michel after watching him this season. I don’t care if they have to use the 25th pick on him honestly. Very explosive, great hands, above average in pass protection and played in a zone scheme (expect LaFleur to run a lot of zone) if Michel is picked up before we can grab him I also think Ronald Jones is a fine consolation prize.

- Draft Malik Jefferson
    Watching this kids tape makes you fall in love. His pursuit to the ball is only rivaled by Roquan Smith in my opinion. The ideal situation would be Jefferson at 25 and Michel at 57. I think Michel may go before our 2nd pick, so JRob might need to work his magic and move around a little bit and get closer to the start of the 2nd round to get both.

- Draft Josh Sweat
    He may fall to the our 3rd round pick. He has a lot of raw talent that could develop for a year behind Orakpo and Morgan being a situational and rotation rusher.

This is the overall approach to start that I would take for the rest of the offseason if I were in the GM position. Seeing what JRob has done the first couple years he’s been here I think he will make the right moves. Can’t wait to see what happens in the next couple months.

What do you guys think? And what would your approach be if you had control?

Go Titans!

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  2. kstone

kstone Starter

When a Super Bowl. That's my hopes and dreams!!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Big fan of Malik Jefferson. I live here in Austin and remarkably he's not that hyped here. I don't think he comes with the old UT baggage of being worshipped/coddled either. He's hungry.

Not shocked to see Decker walk, Sharpe will take his snaps and what we'll need is another Taywan type. Taylor Gabriel anyone?

Cannot justify paying Avery fuuuuking Williamson 9-11mil per. Just makes me sick thinking about it.

4. GoodCat

GoodCat Starter

If Williamson gets 9-11 million a year then I quit.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

We have a new head coach. I'm legitimately excited about Titans football for the first time since 2009.

Everything after that is gravy.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I think he falls farther than that. A lot farther. Questionable effort. A better run defender than he is pass rusher. Has significant knee concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a medical red flag for a lot of teams.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

There's enough better CB options in FA than Eli Apple, and since NY won't be giving him away I'd rather us keep our draft picks and sign a FA or draft one

8. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

I actually agree with everything you mentioned here. Drafting a rb at 25 is intriguing. In still not sure if Henry is an every down back. Sammy Watkins is not coming here after we just hired Rob Moore.

9. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

What Rb u getting at 25? Gross.

10. grudenator

grudenator Starter

Jarvis Landry is criminally underrated. If he would have been on an actual good team, he would arguably be top 3-5 WR in the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar