Titans observe WR's during today's Senior Bowl Practice

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Dr.Awkward, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

right on

i do think that this years draft features better overall talent in the first day of the draft and there are a number of guys to grab and not consider them to be reaches

also Safety looks promising

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all even CJ isn't a can't miss player. He wouldn't be the first early round WR that busted and he could blow a knee or something in his first game. No player or position drafted is a can't miss. Robert Gallery was one of the best OTs to come out of the draft in years and now he can't hardly keep his job as a RT. Curtis Enis looked like a lock as a RB. Rien Lief was actually debated to be a better prospect than Manning. Andre Bruce comes to mind. It is hard to evaluate any position. Jimmy Kennedy looked like a stud DT when the Rams drafted him in 2003. He has faired better than some, he is a starter, finally after 3 years but he is hardly star material. The list goes on. There are 32 players that are going to be drafted in the first round of the draft but which ones are going to flop and which ones are going to be stars? It is very hard to tell.

3. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

The difference is you have about 5-6 at each position, I have 34 at WR.

That leaves about a 22% success rate for Wrs and 15% success rate for 1st round WRs outside of the top 6.

RBs, etc are nowhere near that rate

4. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

apples to oranges comparison

so CJ isn't a can't-miss prospect because he could blow his knee out? :ha:

I watched Gallery and thought he looked too lean and weak at times. Nobody seriously considered Leaf over Peyton. I dont know much about the rest. Im not saying that players don't bust, but percentage-wise, WR is a much harder position to judge. You named a handful of players, I named 34. The statistics speak for themselves.

As for CJ, there isn't anything he can't do. Aside from injury, or getting stuck with an absolutely terrible QB, I think it's safe to say he's going to be a star.

Just because a player is a very high draft pick, doesn't mean he doesn't have weaknesses that teams worry about.

What are CJ's?

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Every player can be a bust. It just depends on if their suited for the team that picked them. You just have to scout them and see. You could draft a guy at the 19th pick who is projected to be a 2nd round pick and he does great. Because of the offensive or defensive system. It's not the talent level or the weakness.

6. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

And I said it didn't look like we were going after Bowe because it listed the other 4.

Was Bowe just a given or what? I would like Bowe or DJ or another WR in the first as long as we take take care of FS, CB, and DE as well, with preferably 2 in FA (which I read a report that we aren't going to go hard after any big names.)

We have much more immediate needs on defense, imo.

7. TM

TM Starter

1st round picks aren't necessarily about immediate needs. Yes, certain positions are ruled out (QB) but the most important thing is to not bust and get a player who will be a long term impact player.

When you have an abundance of cap space and 9 other draft picks, there are plenty of ways to fill immediate holes.

I really don't care whether the first pick is a DE, DT, MLB, CB, S, or WR as long as he becomes a core player.

Think long term in the first round. If we were 1 player away from a Super Bowl then it would be different, but we aren't.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you cant pick for need. we picked woolfolk for need. we picked odom, laboy and schobel for need. you pick the best player available. if two guys grade out the same and one of them is at a position of need, then you take the position of need.

9. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Ricky Williams wasn't necessarily a bust...He just liked to bust out his bong every now and then.:geek:

10. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

Well when you have 1 position of need on offense, and around 5 on defense, the odds are that we are going to have a player at a position of need on defense that is graded similarly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar