Titans observe WR's during today's Senior Bowl Practice

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Dr.Awkward, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

Apparently the titans had there eye on 4 wide outs during today's senior bowl practices. Here's who they were looking at and what the scouts had to say about them:

1. Paul Williams: 6'1/200/Freson State:
    "Paul Williams of Fresno St. faked Leon Hall out of his jock on a double move for a touchdown"
    Video: This kid looks strong in this video. Notice how hard he is to bring down... particularly during the USC section of the video.

2. Jason Hill: 6'0/204/Washington State:
    "Jason Hill of Washington St. looked real good and displayed excellent ball skills."

3. Aundrae Allison: 6'0/197/East Carolina:
    "East Carolina's Aundrae Allison had a beautiful one-handed catch for a touchdown over Leon Hall but really struggles to get separation."
    "Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse, who looked more like a linebacker yesterday, had no problem keeping up with Andre Allison when matched up man-to-man in drills."

4. Dallas Baker: 6'3/203/Florida:
    "Florida's Dallas Baker had a little trouble with physical corners but displayed nice hands and body control."
    "Aaron Ross of Texas has been very physical with larger receivers like Dallas Baker."

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Good, that sounds like we're looking at drafting one in lower rounds. Excellent. Make sure we keep depth if we see anyone who looks good, but don't waste a 1st round pick on a flashy guy.

3. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I like what Williams brings to the table, but he seems a step slow. However, from that video he makes up for it with his physical demeanor. Would be a good replacement for Drew. Another guy I like is Jason Hill. He doesn't have the physical attributes you want, but he makes up for it in his overachieving attitude and excellent ball skills. The other two don't seem very impressive to me.

Two other guys I hope they give a look at is Brandon Myles of WVA and Chansi Stuckey of Clemson.

4. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

I'm not sure if I like Williams' attitude or inconsistency

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

hooray for having an average WR corp.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

How many first round receivers have been on Superbowl teams the last 10 years?

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The main reason I was leaning away from drafting a WR in the first was it looked like we would have our choice of Ginn or Jarrett and I'm not sold on either one. However, if Bowe is around he could be the real deal. Here is a portion of Wed report from Mobile by NFL Draft Countdown.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south124.html

"Dwayne Bowe of L.S.U. is still the class of not only the wide receiver position but really the entire team and that train just kept rolling today. In fact, the only person who has been able to stop Bowe is Bowe himself and that became very apparent to guys like Aaron Ross and A.J. Davis, who were both beaten repeatedly by the dominating receiver."

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we drafted Bowe but I'm not sure if he continues to impress he won't get drafted ahead of Jarrett and Ginn. Bowe has it all, size, speed, able to get seperation and able to get free at the LOS.

8. Righteous

Righteous Guest

Well to answer your question, here's a list of players drafted from the positions of WR, QB, RB, DE and CB who was drafted in the first round between the years of 1996-2005 who have maed it to the Superbowl. Hopefully this data will eliminate the belief that there is some sort of formula to drafting other than it's just a crapshoot.

There were 43 WR's drafted between 1996-2005 in the first round. Here are the ones who made it to the Superbowl.

Marvin Harrison
    Reggie Wayne
    Rod Gardner (Carolina)
    Freddie Mitchell
    Torry Holt
    Kevin Dyson
    Marcus Nash
    Ike Hilliard
    Terry Glen

That's 9 out of 43, which is a 21% chance of Superbowl success at that position.

There were 21 QB's drafted in the same years. Here are the SuperBowl participants.

Peyton Manning
    Donovan McNabb
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Rex Grossman

That's 4 out of 21, which is a 21% chance of Superbowl success at that position.

There were 28 RB's taken. Here's who made the big dance.

E. George
    Warrick Dunn
    Jamal Lewis
    Thomas Jones
    Ron Dayne
    Shaun Alexander
    Trung Candidate
    Cedric Benson

Fortunately every RB taken in 2000 made the Superbowl, so that makes it 8 out of 28 and a 29% success rate. Without the year 2000, it's 12%.

There were 37 DE's taken. In the SB?

Kenny Holmes
    Trevor Pryce
    Grant Wistrom
    Jevon Kearse
    Richard Seymour
    Dwight Freeny
    Julius Peppers
    Ty Warren

That's 8 out 37 and a 22% success rate.

There were 40 CB's taken. In thye SBN.

Charles Woodson
    Duane Starks
    Chris McAllister
    Lito Shepard
    Phillip Buchanan
    Marcus Trufant
    Chris Gamble
    Marlin Jackson

That's 8 out of 40 and a 20% success rate.

All positions are important and instead of trying to value one position over the next, we just should hope for a really good player in round 1.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

how many middle round WRs have we selected over the years that have turned into nothing?

10. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar