Titans new RB Coach on White/Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Some backs are power backs, some backs are shiffty backs, some backs can press a hole and pop through to the other side no problem, and others will press that same hole and drag defenders for a 5yd gain. To say that you can't teach vison is partly correct. I believe that vision can be explained, but to put into action is Instinct. To be able to "FEEL" a hole, and not only "See" it. Running the ball is mostly reactive, and 8 out of 10 backs rarely end up going through the hole that the play was designed for, and you would have to have played the position a on some level to understand that.

To be "taught" vision happens at a very early time in football, and unless he just started playing like last year, this "Vision" should already be a part of him. Now, I hope and pray that it is just the lack of playing time on the college level, and now the pro's, and the speed of the Pro game that he has to get used to, but I have to be honest, to see him flat out miss holes right in front of him and missing blocks had me a little worried during the pre season, but to his creedit he did pick it up some before his suspension.

2. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Ding Ding Ding Ding

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is possible through coaching and watching film for a RB to learn what to expect on certain plays and formations. You can also learn where the anticipated cut back lanes should be. It looks great when things go as planned but when things don't it can look ugly. The great backs do 90% of what they do by naturally seeing things as they happen and reacting. It is a combination of instincts and being able to evaluate situations quickly in your mind, make an assesment and make the move. You see this in great open field runners. That is why some people on this board actually were saying Hester gets great blocking and just runs through big openings and wasn't a good return guy at one point but in reality Hester actually sees the opening before it is even an opening. Great runners also set guys up with split second jukes and steps but all these things literally happen in milli seconds. That is where Henry has a problem. You see it in his kick returns. A guy can have world class speed and power but if he can't make those split second evaluations of the situation all he is doing is running a sprint. There will be occasions where a hole opens up and a big run is made. There are also occasions where you run straight into a guy and make the biggest hits high lite reel.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Henry just needs some "Wild Thing" glasses:

[​IMG]

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

We were all really bummed about Henry's suspension last year - because we all felt like he was finally showing progress. How is it that he has regressed so much in the offseason?

Anyway, if you could find a hole in Norm Chow's offense to run through you're a better man than I. 8-9 in the box doesn't leave many options. And on numerous occasions I remember screaming because he kept sending Lendale out to the edge (with no success) and pounded Henry up the middle (with no success). Get Henry in space on the edge and he'll be fine.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Dinger's offense will be better for Henry. I remember Brown being real good at running those draw plays (that CHow never ran) and Brown could burst through the line for 20 yards. Plays like that as well as catching some balls out of the backfield might be perfect for Henry.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

ditto ding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar