Titans need a playmaker at WR.....and who can catch...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think we have a stable full of WR's right now, and we get Givens back next year. They may not be the elite of the NFL, but they are good enough to get by with, considering how bad our defense is. We need a stud DE immediately, then a Safety. After that, whatever is on the board they can grab. Maybe they get lucky and get a Colston 7th round. Sweed is a thought too, and hasn't been mentioned a lot. Vince and Scaife seem to hook up OK, so maybe another friendly face wouldn't hurt.

2. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

We got one. His name is David Givins. Of course he is hurt. Why do we have such good luck with WRs?

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You know, I wouldn't mind overturning at least one player at the position each year. Kind of like pruning the tree so it grows better. You take a chance either way. Do you keep your same guys and risk the same results while hoping for possible improvement, or do you add a new chemical to the mix? Realize we kept 7 guys at the WR position this year, and we might not do it every year. If we need to bolster another position, this group could dwindle to six, and I think it is possible we could cut up to two, especially if we bring in one person.

I had an interesting thought, though it will probably be somewhat unpopular. I was thinking of Fisher and his penchant with Kerry Collins to scratch an old itch of past draft what-if. I wonder if he might have the same sense with Randy Moss. Sure Moss can be a problem, but I also think he could add something to the mix we haven't had at the WR position since Mason: a playmaker. Yes, Moss has been hurt, but I think of this little soundbyte when considering his potential, if you remember the clip from his press conference on the day his signing with the Raiders was announced: "I'm committed to excellence." Well, we know that goes as far as the condition he's in being right, but I feel that Tennessee is shaping up to be the right condition for soon-to-be free agents. This will be a place FAs dream to land after this season.

In thinking about Moss, I knew this thought has had to cross his mind, coming into the last few years, probably, of his career, and of recent being beset by injuries: "I need to be on one more good team before my career is over." What Moss needs is a QB with whom he can play straight up catch. I believe at his best, Moss would come here and try to inspire the WRs with his playmaking on the field, and it would appeal to him to be the go-to-guy when healthy, and he would certainly yell and correct WRs when he was on the bench. I honestly believe that if this team holds together, that if the falling apart is over, even a Randy Moss could be one of those right pieces at the right time type of player.

Assume his contract while we have the money, and restructure it in a year or two as needed. He needs to feel that giant crest one last time, a team climbing and peaking and making at least one, if not a few successive stabs at the Super Bowl title.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here with a player I'm sure many would feel has the potential to upset the new balance that seems to be settling in Tennessee, but I think unlike Collins, this could be one of those times where it makes sense to give in to past draft remorse. (And don't even mention we wouldn't have made the Music City Miracle without Dyson, hence never gone to the game -- we might not have had to, but that's neither here nor there.)

I like the thought of having Moss, Givens and Bennett as the starters. If one of these guys is hurt, you still have two who can be the starter without question. I also think Drew will shine more in a Joe Jurevicius type role. Let the other guys fight into the rotation. I do hope a few years down the road that it becomes Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams who are the starters with Roby in the slot, but I think that for these younger guys to reach their potential, it couldn't hurt to have a star example on the field showing them how it's done. And it certainly wouldn't hurt Bennett or Givens either.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Because we have little, or no luck with free agents when it comes to signing WR's.

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

ain't that the truth.

6. TM

TM Starter

Your plan would put Givens, Bennett and Wade all under long term contract. That's not good cap management and none of these guys are true #1 WRs who will command a double team from the opposing D.

Get VY a true #1 to grow and develop with him and stop the love affair with average guys like Bennett and Wade. They are easily replaceable.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Fisher stated publicly on his show that he would never have Moss on this team.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

you believe everything Fisher says:nono:

9. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Whats the odds of Givens being back at 100% by next season?

10. Pass Rush

Pass Rush Guest

I agree with you, TNThunder, weakside end is a huge need that isn't going to be solved by FA, so we should draft a DE first (I love a good pass rush, hence the name). But I would like to see a first-round pick used on a WR at some point, maybe 08, because every good passing game has a good #1 receiver, and i don't think any of our current wideouts is going to develop into one soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar