Titans need a playmaker at WR.....and who can catch...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

That may be true, but remember, Vince is a rookie, and not throwing very well at the moment. Drafting a WR to fix that is a band-aid move, and certainly no guarantee it will fix the problem. We really need to improve our defense more than anything right now. We have a stable full of WR's we have drafted. Givens will be back next year, so I bet they take a DE with the first pick. We aren't doing very well developing WR's, but by the end of the year the staff will probably know better what we need. The fact we went out and got Givens who is proven tells me we have given up in that area. If we do get another WR, I would bet it's another FA.

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Once again you are right.

3. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

I absolutely agree. Look at Tampa's once formidable defense. Apparently, they haven't first-day drafted any defensive help in the last 3 years, instead trying to improve upon their offense. Now, the defense is older, and not quite as strong...IMHO, we need to build the defense. DE, S, CB, DT.

I do have a thought that maybe we should give a hard look at Limas Sweed from TX. Perhaps, like Bo Scaife, the previous chemistry would pay off...

4. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

You know what, it's time somebody reached up and caught one of those long passes

Just for me, please. It's not like they're 10 yards over their heads. They're catchable balls, IT CAN BE DONE, screw whether they're on the money. All I want is one. Just one. Jump up and catch ONE of them. We've had two today. Generally at least one or two a game. Just one of 'em, I'm praying for one of those guys to make a play on one of them someday.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

What needs to happen at WR next year?

Just a question I've been pondering lately. I suppose Givens gets his chance next year, but would you give it to him? I'm sure the cap hit would be large, if cut, but next year it could be affordable. I myself would give him next year to prove himself. Heck, we did it with Henry, and I'm sure we're glad we did now, or where else would we be?

But at the same time, does it seem like we have a log jam here? Bennett, Givens, Jones, Wade, Roydell, Roby -- none with sustainable production or the ability to establish themselves as consistently reliable or able to emerge from the pack.

What would you do?

Do you draft a stud and let them rise? Do you bring in another FA at the position and let someone go? To me, there are, what, 3-5 FA WRs worth considering, and I can only come up with Moss, Owens and Kevin Curtis. The first two are clearly problem children, and Kevin Curtis (did he get extended yet?) is unproven beyond a 3rd WR, but he has deep speed. However, a move like that still leaves us with a bunch of 2s and 3s at the position.

So how do you fix it? Or do you go to war in 07 with the same bunch of guys basically?

Thoughts?

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

a WR doesn't help a QB who isn't accurate. Maybe by next yr Young will have improved on that if he works on it in the off season

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I don't think we NEED to get a WR via the draft or FA. Reason being is we won't get the bang for our buck considering Vince is still developing (and that was the thought in getting Givens in the first place). With Givens and Drew, we have 2 quality #2's and Jones, Wade and co. are good for #3 and #4's. IE...we don't suck at WR. In fact, Bennett gets deep chances in virtually every game (some he drops) as do some of our other WR's. Point is, we'd be better off upgrading the OL (ie...the run game) and building our defense than giving Vince a new toy. Vince has the mobility to allow our #2 WR's to get deep (and open) so we don't NEED that.

Of course, if Calvin Johnson is the best player available, I won't be crying if we take him.

I wouldn't touch Owens with your ten foot pole. Moss could be intriguing though. However, I don't want any prima donna's to 'infect' Vince's leadership, confidence and attitude.

Gut

8. Brian

Brian Big Fan

:yes:

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm with Gut, we don't need to bring in a big WR, and we really don't need one with an additude problem...

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

that is for sure, we have enough players with attitude problems already:grrhee:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar