Titans May Have Difficulty Keeping Odom

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pace is a 270lb LB who has been a lot like odom and just came off a career year but if he is cheaper i say fine.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

All I know is it is very simple. The Titans are really only a few players away and VY growing up to have a shot at a SB. That is it. In other words if we could keep every guy we had last year except for making upgrades at just a few positions we improve the team dramatically. If we can get a #1 quality WR, maybe an upgrade at TE and a 3rd RB to take Brown's spot along with someone who can give us a better return game we will have a solid team.

If we start letting guys walk and don't get comparable quality to replace them we either don't get better or possibly get much worse. It is simple.

3. Odom has proven he is a quality starting DE. He led the team in QB pressures and was 2nd in sacks. And there is no one out there we can replace him with who we can expect comparable numbers from.

I say pay him. Yes, he has had injuries limit him in the past, but they aren't the sort of injuries that tend to occur over and over (like LaBoy's concussion problems do).

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Ahem...it's GLinks, RollTide...:))

Well, because...he got better?!

Remember Charles Grant last year? Similar type DE. Similar size, similar numbers prior to his contract. I think we could pay Odom less.

Situation is going to be the same next year, hopefully. Guys will have to pay massive attention to KVB and Haynesworth. Odom will continue to have favorable matchups.

Not you, per se, but a lot of posters seem to think it's no problem to replace this guy. There will be mighty slim pickins after Suggs and Allen are (probably) re-signed by their respective teams. I know most of us want our draft picks to produce immediately (some of us can stretch to year three), but I think this: if the guy gets it by the time the first deal is up, and conditions are favorable, re-sign him.

I'm going to argue that Odom is the best of the rest following Allen and Suggs. We already have the guy on our team. Half the work is done from that standpoint. Add to that, he knows the system, Washburn is high on him, and with KVB and Al, he has a chance to stay as productive as he was this year, maybe more.

From the Titans standpoint, it's a no-brainer.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Agree, Sox and SK.

I've said before, returning the starting d-line is possibly the single best thing we can do this offseason. Keeps our greatest strength strong. Alleviates pressure off the Pacman situation (means we can keep weaker corners).

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

GLINKS,

What in the hell does charles grant have to do with odom? Grant started his career with 7, 10, 11 sacks in his first 3 seasons. Odom? 2, 2, .5. If you see any similarities there tell me. Grant averaged 9.3 sacks a season vs odom who had 1.5 sacks a season.

In the next 3 years grant has only averaged 3.3 sacks a season and this year he had 2.5. So how has he fulfilled that big contract?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3553

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bobby mccray..
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5774

Here might be a good comparison to odom. Mccray had 10 sacks last year and just 3 this year. We could sign this guy for less. A similar player.

A restricted free agent that might be worth looking at is antonio smith from the cards. 5.5 sacks with 37 tackles last year. He has improved in each of his 3 seasons. Compensation would be a factor here..
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6894

GLINKS himself already mentioned pace and trade possibilities for burgess.

Options! Options! We have options here we are not hostage to odom..

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Grant is a much better run defender than Odom. Just throwin that out there because I don't think Odom is strong against the run.

9. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Anyone thought about bringing back Kearse? He could be a situational pass rusher and good depth for us. I have a feeling he is gonna get cut. He has a huge contract, was injury prone, and was finally benched in Philly

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

well damn, i only said that five pages ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar