Titans Maintain Playoff Hopes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: At 7-5, the Titans are tied with the Browns for the sixth and final slot in the AFC postseason chase. However, they would lose the tiebreaker currently because the Browns have played and won one more AFC game than have the Titans. The Titans are also the only one of the remaining contenders to have nothing but AFC games remaining on their schedule. Tennessee is currently 4-4 against conference opponents, while Cleveland is 5-4 and Jacksonville is 6-3 (who current holds the first wildcard spot). If the Titans and Jags end up with the same final record, and the Titans defeat the Colts in the season finale, they would end up 4-2 inside the AFC South and finish second.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Ouch sounds painfull and we still got 2 tough games on the sack to play colts and chargers. May the force be with us Go titans!!!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

We own a lot of tie breakers guys. All we have to do is win. It's on us. All the other team forums are well aware of this too. The Titans control the fate of everyone in the AFC in my opinion as well as theirs. Most Forums, however, believe that we will lose 2 games. A speckled few actually see us going undefeated. But as of today, we own the playoff spot regardless of the standings. Everything is in our hands for once. And even if we lose one game, we are still only one game away from recontrolling our fate the next week. It's all good right now and it is not nearly this bleak picture I think many people are sharing. Our strength of victory is huge bonus in our pocket. I personally think the Brown fans who see the big picture are very nervous.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Common game scenarios:
    Buffalo - We lose. At best, we are 2-3. They are 3-2 at worst I think. No matter, we can't catch them. I know that.

Cleveland - Our two wins at houston will be big here. We share Raiders (+1 us) Cinncinnati (+1 them, one remains), Jets (Probably a wash ??), Houston (+1 us). That means we are up +1 right now. If we beat the Jets we tie them at worst, pushing us into conference record, which we will tie, and then onto strength of victory which we win.

Jacksonville - pretty much irrelevant as I see it. If we tie them, we will pass them based on division record with a win over Indy. If three teams get involved, well, I'll wait on that one, it gets complicated.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I think I am close to correct on these rough estimates. But if I am wrong, point it out so we can straighten these things out.

Recap of Strength of Victory 10-6 scenario:
    1. Jags 46 up to like 60
    2. Titans 49 up to 57
    3. Buffalo at best around like 40
    4. Cleveland at best around 39 or something

Conference Record:
    1. Jags 6-3
    2. Cleveland and Buffalo and Tennessee would likely be tied in any tie scenario, but all very speculative. The Titans really control their fate here with 4 AFC games.

Common Games: see above.

Strength of schedule: Likely not needed. If it is, we are behind in this category.

7. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

this sounds like its going to be fun

8. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

I see the titans winning 3 out of the next 4. Should beat the jets and chiefs. Bolts and colts are gonna be tuff ones. The Titans should get in. I don't see the browns winning out. Their schedule is pretty light, but have to believe their poor defense is gonna get them. We all know the jags have fallen apart at the end of the season before.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Three out of four (or running the table if Dungy sits his stars in week 16) is possible, but the key is this week's game with the Chargers IMO. I see this game as a character game for us. Are we seriously a playoff quality team (not just whether we can get there, but whether we can make noise when there)? A decisive win in which we slow down (note I am not saying "stop"...I am realistic here) LT and convert in the red zone again could really launch us on a streak. A regression at this point might not keep us from the playoffs, but it would set us back "swagger"-wise, which we would have trouble recovering from before the playoffs.

In any event, it sure is fun again to be discussing playoffs (seriously) this late in the season.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Jeff Fisher's version of a decisive win involves having half you *** sinking in quick sand during the 4th quarter while the other half tries to milk a 2 point lead from a milkless cow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar