Titans lack impact from rookies

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Mangini is doing a great job up in NY, not the most talented team, but they all work together, put the best players on the field, and they come away with the W's.

Payton down in NO is another great example, as pointed out earlier.
    If the Saints get a defense, in particular star linebacker or corner, watch out for those guys....

2. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

both are new coaches.................with new philosophies.............i think the staff is the biggest reason we have caved...............the cap has been the biggest facade that Fisher and FR have hid behind............. too many but this BS story behind the demise.................this team has more talent than many teams but has underproduced................that is all on the staff in my view...................

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

your right about that, this talent has A LOT of talent that seems to go unnoticed on sundays, weird....

ok so say if we go 3-13 or 4-12, does Bud put Fish & Co. out of town?

and in the event that he does, you think he would keep chow for VY?!

4. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

I know some changes are coming.............and others are not..............but the status quo is not going to persist into 07.......sounds obvious now but I think it will break differently than many think.

5. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

the status quo is beyond unacceptable, as im sure you agree 100%

if i had a choice, i'd go with a rather young coach, maybe singletary....

i'll just hope for the best though

6. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

underwood has a mandate.................we will see how he chooses to use it.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

I know we went all through this a couple weeks ago, but since we're back on the subject....

Bongo couldn't have phrased it more perfectly.....the Titans method of developing rookies is a caste system. Unless he's a first or second round draft pick, a rookie has absolutely no chance at starting over a veteran....and even then, he has only the slimmest of chances. In Fisher's view, rookies are nothing more than a mistake waiting to happen, and there is absolutely no way a rookie can earn playing time over a veteran, regardless of playing ability. Period, end of story. Only as a very last resort will a rookie see any meaningful playing time...usually only after a catastrophic injury to the veteran starter.

Don't believe me? Look at the Titans' rookie starters over the last few years: Pacman and Reynaldo became starters when Woolfolk and Beckham played themselves into the doghouse; Roos played because there was no veteran RT on the roster; Jacob Bell never would have seen the field had Piller not torn his bicep. The simple fact is, you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of rookies who have unseated veteran starters. It just doesn't happen.

One need look no further than this year: Lamont Thompson is probably the worst starting safety in the entire league, and is still consistently making costly rookie mistakes after five years in the league. The bar could not be set any lower for rookies....yet Fisher refuses to give them any defensive snaps.

I've pointed this out before, and I'll stand by it: if DeMeco Ryans and Marques Colston had been drafted by the Titans, Ryans would be playing special teams, and Colston would have been inactive for every game...if he made the roster at all. Why? Because they're rookies....and that's all the reason Fisher needs to keep them on the bench.

(And for all the people who still lament the Titans drafting KDyse over Randy Moss....do you REALLY think a rookie Randy Moss would have been prominently featured in the Titans' offense? Not when Fisher could hand EG the ball 25-30 times a game.)

8. TITAN89Fan

TITAN89Fan TITAN FAN

WHAT??????? :bonk2:

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think that Fish is kept as long as he keeps the team improving and playing hard. It isn't about wins and losses. I still think Bud forced Fish to play VY early knowing that 2006 was going to be all about getting VY ready for 2007.

10. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Im sorry, but Fish & Co. need to leave Nashville

Keep Chow for VY

the 1st half on sunday was brillant between those two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar