Titans interested in DE Alex Brown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

not entirely.

holt was a top six pick and had more yards and catches in his rookie year than jones has had in his first two.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

We've got a good shot at landing Brown. I looked around on some Bears message boards and most people felt like if they could get a 2nd round pick for him it would be a steal for them, and most would be ok with a 3rd rd. Reiny has been pretty vocal about still wanting a DE, so I think he'll make a reasonable offer. I'm wondering if they would take a 4th or 5th along with a trade for one of our extra DBs or WRs.

If we land a DE, then that pretty much rounds out our needs, imo. If there had been a viable veteran option at WR or RB this offseason I'd have said go for it, but looking at the young guys we have I think there is enough talent to build off of. Plus Givens will come back late this year or else next year. Looking long term, I think we're getting there. If Jones, Roydell and Orr don't make the critical year 3 jump then it's time to think about replacing them, but I've seen enough from their limited chances to say at least 1 of them should emerge this year.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me get this right. Bears message boards are now a place to get info on what the Bears organization is going to do? Just because fans might think one way doesn't mean the Bears FO feels the same way. The Bears are going to take whatever the best offer is IMO because they have excess DEs. I'm sure their expectations are they would be happy to get a third rounder. As far as a trade I'd only see it as a possibility if we had something they really needed but I'm not sure what that would be or what we would be willing to give up. After all we actually signed a WR who was on their roster last year and is currently equal or higher on the depth chart than any of the guys we would want to dump. They don't need a return guy. We don't really have any extra OL. We could offer them Hill now that we signed a DB but I'm not sure that would excite them that much (although Hill might not be a bad guy for them if they are slim at CB).

4. zackmann

zackmann Guest

Unless Alex Brown can play WR or CB or S, I doubt we trade for him.....

I hear that the Titan Front Office is looking to add some more depth to WR/CB/S.......

The 15 DB's and 12 WR's we have on the team just isn't enough right now.........

:grrhee:

5. ROCKYMTNTITAN

ROCKYMTNTITAN Camp Fodder

The thing is, even if we are able to pick up Brown, won't Schwartz limit him? Our defense can and I think, has, gotten better personnel wise, but how far can they go with Schwartz? I've totally lost faith in him....even though he is a defensive genius. Hey, do any of you guys still mess with his wikipedia definition? I loved how that kept changing. (Until he changed it back every time).

6. MJTitans

Gee, I don't remember saying that. Bears are advertising him for a 2nd rd pick. The general consensus here has been that a 2nd rd feels a bit steep. The consensus from Bears fans is that a 2nd rd is pushing it (as he is good but doesn't quite fit a 3-4 defense). Take it for what it is, but their opinion on his ability as a DE is pretty valid - since they see him every week. So I appreciate your sarcasm, but I don't particularly admire the thought process behind it.

My point was that if Bears fans would be absolutely thrilled with getting a 2nd for him, a 3rd is the fair option. But I'm not sure Titans would give up a day 1 pick and Bears need offensive talent - we have an excess of WRs - we might be able to sell them on a later pick along with a WR trade. I agree Hill could be a good option to trade to another team, but probably not Bears. Just because they let Gage & Wade go doesn't mean they aren't wanting to get WR help - just means that 2 players didn't work out for them. A guy like Roby or Orr could be an interesting trade for them if they don't want to come down enough in the draft pick. With Hester maybe moving to WR they are going to want to have another option for a returner - like we did with Mase... only used him in the more critical times.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Brown being made available is old news and reports have already come out that the Bears might be willing to take a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. That is based on media reports for what it is worth. You started you post off with "We've got a good shot at landing Brown" and then starting writing about what the Bears message boards were saying. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Obviously the Bears and their fans would be thrilled to get a 2nd rounder for him. He is extra baggage they want to dump and they just used a 2nd round pick a DE with the obvious intention of moving Brown.

8. MJTitans

Yea, funny thing is I'm not sold on Brown, but I think he'd be an upgrade over what we've got. He's actually pretty good against the run, but has been just ok at getting pressure. I'd rather have a solid pass rusher, assuming our DTs play the run the way they are capable of. Anyway, he's the odd man out in Chi and is probably better than a 4th - if the Bears take that it's a good deal for us.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

You are mistaken about Brown...he is very, very good at getting pressure. If you ask me, thats the best part of his game. The stats might not show it, but he's in the QBs face every play.

10. MJTitans

That's good to hear... I haven't watched him much, which is why I went trolling looking for Bears fans opinions on him. From the reports I had read, and from Bears message boards I got the impression that he was a solid player but that he didn't really get to the QB enough. I'll be the 1st to tell you that stats don't say it all though - I think KVB had a great year last year, even though his sacks were down. Brown sounded almost a little like what Randy Starks should be - strong against the run, but also able to get to the QB at times... more like a good DT. Just based on that (possibly false) understanding I think he'd be a good addition. If he can force hurries and get a hand on some balls then I'd say he's a very good prospect. Weren't a lot of DEs available this year - so if he just got caught up in a numbers game in Chi, then I hope we go after him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar