Rumor Titans interested in 1st overall pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Broken Arrow, Feb 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

I've seen the stats of all of them and you are easily wrong on half your list.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Good argument.

3. HurrayTitans!

Says the guy counting Big Ben with 2400 yards and 17 TDs, then again 3300 yards and a 17/15 ratio.

impressively mediocre. Prime examples of D carry a marginal QB.

also impressed by 15 and 16 TD Aikman.

And yes, even Brady has been carried by his D before.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. Carp

Carp Starter

1. Aikman played in a different era. 4k yard passers and 25+ TD seasons were not the norm in 1993. His stats are absolutely top 10 overall among the the QBs in the league.

2. Ben missed 4 games due to injury in 2005.

5. HurrayTitans!

1. I know. He still had 10 guys ahead of him in yds and TD. He was the game manager. Just didn’t turn the ball over, let the D win and hand off to Emmitt. They also didn’t have to worry about salary cap then.

2. and even projecting 4 more games, he would have been 10 in TDs, 21 in yards.

6. Carp

Carp Starter

Apparently you don't understand what "aggregate" means.

Warren Moon, Steve Buerlein, and Jim Kelly had more TDs and Yards than Aikman in 93. But they most certainly were not better than Aikman. They had the same amount of TDs as INTs and a much lower completion percentage. Aikman was 2nd in QB rating.

Same with Ben in 2005, who missed 4 games (and parts of other games) with various injuries. Finished 3rd in QB rating.

I don't understand why I have to keep explaining this. It's OBVIOUS NFL teams don't feel the same way you do or they wouldn't put the sort of resources they do into finding a Top QB. It's why we were trying to sign Brady in the first place 3 years ago despite Tanne playing well at the time. It's why the Raiders are moving on from a perfectly solid QB in Derek Carr. It's why the Chiefs moved up to grab Mahomes despite having success with Alex Smith. It's why the 49ers moved up for Trey Lance with Jimmy G getting them to a SB barely 15 months prior. It's why the Rams traded away Goff and 2 1st round picks for Stafford despite Goff getting them to a SB appearance roughly 3 years prior.

Trying to win a SB with mediocre QB and a great team around him is simply not a great recipe for success. The fact is that it seldom happens. Tanne also isn't a spring chicken anymore at 34 (he'll be 35 to start the season). So it's far more likely he continues to regress than improve upon recent seasons.

#156 Carp, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  7. HurrayTitans!

Yep, we are done, never gonna see eye to eye here.
    you can argue aggregate to change what a guy actually did, ie not get relied on the same as the other actual top 10 QBs
    And you can keep saying “obviously teams today…..” with perfect examples of how stupid some teams are and specifically in their approach over valuing QB.
    It’s not that a QB isnt valuable. But as proven time and time again, you don’t need 5K 50 TD Mahomes to win.
    You need low INT, mediocre QB and a solid team around him. Typically much more affordable and allows to build other positions.

I’m sure as you looked into all this, you noticed that Rodgers and Peyton (IND) are examples of actually putting a D around a superstar QB. Coincidently, Rodgers won with one of his statistically lowest seasons (although still really good) so it’s like GB actually reached pinnacle by relying a little less on Rodgers.

3 guys have ever reached the SB with 20 INT.
    this year will make 25 of 34 years that the SB winner threw 12 or less INT which includes the years where INT were up from where they are today. Top 10 TD, not necessary, Top 10 INT (lowest) much more necessary.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Carp

Carp Starter

I never said it isn't possible. I said it is unlikely, which statistics prove. And it's even more improbable to maintain a consistent amount of success that way over the long haul.

9. HurrayTitans!

You should check this thread out and then consider some of their QBs keeping them successful.
    Titans specifically, #9 and I can’t recall anyone ever going Gaga over our QB. I’d say the same for Balt, despite the recent 2 year run with Lamar Jackson that people prematurely went Gaga over. Seattle, I guess Hasselbeck outside of Wilson, KC has had Mahomes for 6 years but who else over the 23 year period?
    Eagles had Mcnabb for awhile but since?

How Each NFL Franchise Has Fared 1999 Through 2022

Ftr, I still didn’t get your definition of what a “great” or “one of the greats” or “franchise QB” is. There must be some sort of cutoff to define the not “greats”.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Carp

Carp Starter

Among the QBs I listed, nearly all are HOFers or future HOFers. I think that's self explanatory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar