Rumor Titans interested in 1st overall pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Broken Arrow, Feb 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carp

Carp Starter

Downing isn't the guy throwing into double coverage trying to force the ball to a UDFA WR with the game on the line.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Then what difference does the QB make?
    If the D is why the titans can beat every top team and get a #1 seed, all you need is some bum that can just NOT turn the ball over.

this is what I’ve been saying all along, I’m glad some of you QB lovers are finally getting onboard too.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Carp

Carp Starter

Because that's extremely tough for a defense to maintain. And as we saw last year, even with our defense playing amazing, Tanne still found a way to eff it up.

Past 30+ years, the SB winner has had a great QB like 80% of the time. And typically the SB loser also has a great QB. Also, the few SB winners that don't have great QBs NEVER repeat as champs within the same competitive window or even get back to the SB, while multiple great QBs have multiple SB appearances and rings over this time span.

There is a reason why QBs are the top paid players in the league. There's a reason why teams give up multiple 1st rounders for the chance to get a franchise QB. It's the surest bet to get you a SB win.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

called the play with those exact features

5. Carp

Carp Starter

Whether he called the play or not, Tanne is the one who made the decision to throw into double coverage.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

well... yeah

7. HurrayTitans!

Bolded is a made up subjective statistic. Although I’m glad you at least included SB loser as well. I’d include championship competitors personally because those teams are only 2 wins away from SB victory and typically also play the absolute best teams in the league.
    In this cases, it’s rare circumstance that I blame a player from the losing team, but acknowledge the winning team as the good team they are. Good teams (and QBs) lose to good teams all the time.

to the point of your post, a D can maintain that level. Titans D did it almost all season in 2021. Difficult task, sure. Titans don’t turn the ball over 3x, they beat Cin and rematch a KC team they already beat for a SB visit. Don’t care if you blame THill, but even 1 less INT (3 is easily an outlier for him) and titans win.

As far as repeating champs, gotta go quite a ways back for a repeat champ (NE 03-04) and that’s regardless of QB.
    And the reason QB is paid top dollar is not limited to 1 reason at all. Agents and teams chasing a QB with immediate success leads to over paying marginal QBs and lack of patience chances away even decent QBs with limited opportunities. Let’s call it a fluke Geno Smith finally had a decent team and probably better coaching around him but he’s not the only guy of his kind. Imagine if Rich Gannon was cast aside as quickly as todays QBs, no MVP, no Raiders SB visit.

And yes, there’s a reason teams give up multiple 1sts to go after a QB, most of the time, they’re stupid. They set their franchise back over rating a QB and end up selecting another one in just a couple years with another early round pick.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Carp

Carp Starter

1. It isn't made up. Since 88/89 season there have been 6-7 times in 34 seasons that a QB has won it all without being one of the best QBs in the league (even if only for that season, aka Rypien). That means right at 80% of the SB winners between now and then had a great QB. Even if you include Superbowl losers, that number isn't much better, as it's around 8-9 teams. That's roughly 14-16 teams of the 68 total SB teams since 89. And most of the time they lost.

2. The point is more that a defense is hard to maintain an elite evel year over year. But even for a full season with a bad offense is still a tall task.

3. I mean repeating champs within their window of contention, not back to back champs. The Ravens won 2 SBs since 2000 using the defense 1st method. But they were spread pretty far apart and had some pretty awful seasons mixed in. Certainly not a sustained period of success.

4. Literally every team in the NFL believes you need a franchise caliber QB to compete in this league. Are you saying the Chiefs are stupid? The Bills are stupid?

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

saying a commitment to losing till the GOAT falls into your lap is not good football

10. HurrayTitans!

1. I’d like to know what criteria you used to determine which QBs were “one of the best in the league”. Again, without objective criteria, this is a subjective statement. My count, I’ll gladly breakdown the statistical reasoning, 12 winners, 10 losers were NOT, “one of the best in the league” (I.e. top 10). I used the same time period of 34 seasons, that drops to 65% of the winners are “top QB”. Sometimes “name” is misleading to how they actually performed in a given year.

2. The D maintaining for a season is no different than a QB maintaining throughout a year. 2021 TN is a prime example of people underselling the extreme scenario that cost them the game against CIN. 3 TO is huge. With even 1 less, likely TN win. The 3rd was also an almost unheard of TO. It’s miracle in the meadowlands type s**t. With only :20 some seconds left, TN had the ball in a tie game. I dare you to look up how many games the opposing team wins that game in regulation. That is one of those under 5% scenarios. TN just lost the game, does not mean incapable of winning the SB, that team was capable.

3. Oddly enough, your example of Baltimore in 2012 is one of the few teams that are outliers to win the SB with a marginal D. They did not rely on D that year as they were a middle of the pack team (12 PA, 17 YdsA, 14 takeaways). Flacco’s incredible run (and lack of TO*****) got it done. In general, not sure I get this point. If you’re arguing a league best QB year after year (theres only ever 2-3 at any given time) keeps their team competitive, ok, I agree. There just isn’t that many QBs qualify.

4. What is a “franchise” QB? You’re right, every team believes you need a QB that isn’t just some random guy. Very few exceptions of winners have a FA pickup that wasn’t a long time established starter somewhere else. As many SB prove, a top 15 guy in that particular season is all you “NEED”. Outside of a couple QBs that only played a small part of the season, I couldn’t find any winners (or losers for that matter) that started the majority of the season and ranked below 20.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar