Titans in the running for Culpepper?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by inVINCEable, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

though an injury shortened year, his numbers were iffy without moss.

2. Titans | Team out of Culpepper race
    Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:28:16 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli report Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese officially notified the Minnesota Vikings that he is no longer interested and won't do any more bidding for QB Daunte Culpepper. Reese labeled the talks exploratory and said he liked the current group of Titans quarterbacks. He said that the Titans will concentrate on longer term solutions in the future as opposed to a short-term acquisition. The Titans were reportedly a finalist in the Culpepper bidding, along with the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. The Vikings overplayed their hand at bit Friday, March 10, by putting a deadline on three of the teams they were talking to in trade conversations. All three had the perception from the Vikings that one of the teams was offering a second-round pick.

3. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

I don't think Culpepper would be right for us anyway. He has way too many turnovers, and he was terrible as a quarterback last year. The only time he was good is when he had Randy Moss. We are better off getting a young quarterback that will be able to produce for many more years.

4. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Maybe Floyd was trying to send a message to Mac and Bus?

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

nah, I think he was hoping to get Culpepper cheap

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Culpepper vs mcnair...

I would rate them even now but only because culpepper is coming off that knee injury. It's sad to think that mcnair's last great season may have occured at the tender age of 30. Sad when you see how older QBs have performed from rich gannon winning an mvp at age 37 to a guy like trent green going to the pro bowl at 35 and drew bledsoe having a good season at 33. Of course john elway won his two super bowls beyond 35. Buy steve, now 33 looks like an old QB.

I don't understand posters who write about mcnair as if this was 2002 or 2003. I see the same thing when we talk about reese or fisher. It's as if 2005 never happened. The bottom line is that steve mcnair after winning the mvp in 2003 has been just an average QB. he was horrible in 2004 missing half the season and mediocre in 2005. He hasn't run for significant yardage in a season since 2002.

Steve mcnair without that running game is very probably ordinary and so is culpepper which is the problem. Culpepper who turns 30 himself this year is coming off a major knee injury which means he may have to rely totally on his arm, certainly in a few years that will be true. Will he also just become average?

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I could live with it, but it's not near as exciting as a Vince era.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm ready for a new QB (like Vince...or whomever...like Vince). I do think that if Steve DECIDES he REALLY wants to play for a few more seasons, he'll do well, and maybe his best is yet to come, too.

9. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Steve's best is gone. He has one decent year left in him, maybe two. Besides he can't stay healthy.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Rethinking culpepper.......

The turnover issue is legit. This guy has put the ball on the ground 69 times since 2001! Yikes! That is horrible. Mcnair by comparison has 38 fumbles and mcnabb 40 fumbles and manning just 25 fumbles.

I know he is no longer an issue for ther titans but evaluating him as a player we have to take that into account and it knocks him down a notch or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar