Titans Hurt the Most from Lock Out?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Its been pretty well documented that some teams more than others will significantly be hurt by the NFL lockout.

Teams like the Philadelphia Eagles and the New England Patriots who had had stability in their organization and have had the same head coach and starting qb for a nearly a decade-or-so would not be effected by this lockout as much as some others. Vick knows the playbook going into his third year at QB in Philly while Brady and Billicheck know each other inside and out by now ...

But then you get to teams with a new regim, new coaching staff and a rookie quarterback ... those teams include:

tennessee titans (munchak and locker), minnesota vikings (frazier and ponder) and other rookie quarterbacks who may have to be thrown into the fire with San Francisco, Cincinnati and Jacksonville.

So no doubt the Titans are at a hugggggge disadvantage once this lockout does end (hopefully next week) that people dont seem to be stressing enough. Of course in a perfect world we get Hasselbeck, Bulger or even McNabb but if those options fall through and Jake Locker has to be thrown into the mix day-1, were in for some big trouble.

Locker knows absouletly nothing about the current playbook, will have a sigificant less amount of time then any other rookie has had to learn a playbook and especially for a QB, which all equals a horrendous first half of the season could be on the way ...

Ideally, coach Munk will have the offense 90% Chris Johnson (which basically what it is already) but im expecting 12 passing plays at most and the rest run, run, run, at least for a good portion of the 1st half of the season. Just hope CJ doesnt break down because Locker will know 0 about the playbook ...

We could be in for a long, bumpy, ugly ride once the lockout is lifted, unless the Titans act FAST on a veteran QB (which history has shown, the Titans usually wait till that last third wave of free agency when the pickin's are slim to make a move on a guy ...)

Im trying to be optimistic but the Titans in my view seems like the logical choice to be the BIGGEST TEAM to be effected by this lockout.

2. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

In our division, we are the only team with either a HC or QB change, and we have changed both. This, coupled with the abbreviated FA season and eventually preseason, will work to our disadvantage. It will be a tough start to the season IMO, but I think that we could be fun to watch by the end of the season.

3. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Agreed. I think the same in that the first half of the season may be rough to watch but eventually toward the end I have a feeling titan fans will be optimistic heading into 2012 ... because even with a veteren qb, if were last in the division (which every analyst will predict if not 3rd at the highest) then eventually Locker should see some game-time and then the team could be pretty fun to watch, especially if Locker and CJ develop any kind of early chemisty

4. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Locker knows absolutely nothing about the playbook is an exxageration.
    Locker had part of the playbook during their player led workouts.
    Also the lockout gave Palmer time to look more closely at Washington's offense and I would bet dollars to doughnuts they're gonna put in some plays from Washington's playbook.

I don't get why Locker will have less amount of time to learn the playbook then the other rookie QBs?

Also, keep in mind they've missed OTAs and mini-camps not training camp.
    I think you and the many of the sports media are really over stating how much time was lost by missing OTAs/mini-camp.

Huh? 12 passing plays?
    Er, You don't think Locker will learn some plays during actual training camp to put him a little bit ahead of 0 plays?

Its usually a bumpy season in general when you have a rookie QB under center, lockout or not its to be expected.

Wow, this is you being optimistic?
    I would say that of the teams with new coaches:

o Munch has an advantage because he knows the players already
    ^^this is a huge advantage compared to the staff's that have yet evaluate their players

o Palmer is keeping 50% of the offense and terminology in place

o You have a good pass protecting OL (easily top 10)

o You have good weapons on offense w/ CJ28, Britt and Jared Cook

o You drafted Jake Locker

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. CheeseheadTitan

I hate to be talking 2012 when 2011 has not started yet, but I think that we should be in a good position in the division in 2012. Manning will be another year older, the Cows will continue being the Cows, and I think that Gabbert will be a bust (hard for me to say since I am from Missouri, but...), setting the Hags back.

Alot of this depends on Locker. I like what I have seen since we drafted him, but, then again, we really have not seen him on the field yet. This is why who we bring in as a FA QB is very important IMO. We have to get someone who will not have fans screaming for Locker too soon...because I do not think he is ready yet.

6. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

in division sure.

new coaches. new qb. britt may be suspended for 8 years. locker will never be a good qb. collins retired

what is good about all of this

7. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush 49er fan

The Titans are certainly hurt by the lockout (all teams with new coaches are especially inconvenienced), but I think the Niners are hurt most by the lockout. As much as I detest Matt Maiocco's articles, this one is pretty spot on:

http://www.csncalifornia.com/07/19/...ng_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=542211&feedID=5884

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Awesome! No offense dtm but that was rather neg-headed. I didn't see any optimism in any of that.

Romeo's right when he points out that Munchak is more familiar with the team than you seem to think. Give the guy a little credit. He doesn't have head coaching experience but he has played and coached some of the best line play in the league and has been around all of the current players for as long as they've been here. Our players are familiar with Coach Munchak and I believe that they're gonna bust their @$$3$ off for him.

9. CheeseheadTitan

Tick.....tick......tick......tick. That is the time running off for St. Peyton's career. Your team was a scrub team from the time it moved to Indy until Peyton's arrival, and it will revert back to a scrub team after he retires.

Live it up while you can.....in the meantime, leave the Titan's critiques to Titan fans.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We obviously are going to be affected by the lockout... especially with a new HC, OC, DC, and almost every other coach, new QB, multiple team captains as FAs, mostly new playbooks (on O and D), and a once divided locker room.

But, I'm optimistic that Munch will get them together quick, and we'll be surprised next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar