Titans hire Dean Pees as Defensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

Now if we can only get Vince Wilfork to come out of retirement to be our NT for 20 snaps a game.......

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

If you're peeing peas, you might need to get that checked out.

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. Ravens_5220

Ravens_5220 Camp Fodder

Came here to see the reaction to you guys signing Dean as your new defensive coordinator. I know from a stats stand point, his defenses haven't allowed much yardage but I'm here to warn you guys about the deeper problems.

In the 6 years he was in Baltimore, the Ravens blew a grand total of 16 Leads under his watch. In 2013, 2016 and 2017 we've been on the door step of the playoffs and missed the playoffs by one or two games. Christmas Game against the Steelers, we watched them go down the field and score with 9 seconds left after Flacco had the game won with a big game winning drive. We led 28-6 in the Super Bowl, yet we almost lost the Super Bowl and blew that lead.

When he was the Defensive Coordinator of the New England Patriots, not even Bill Belichick was immune from Dean's conservative play calling in the 4th quarter. Pats held a 31-14 lead over the Colts in 2009 in the 4th, lost the game 35-34. Three weeks after Brees and company shredded his defense en route to a 35-17 win over the Pats, the Pats blew a 21-13 lead in the 4th to the Miami Dolphins, losing 22-21. In 2010, the Pats faced the Texans and led 27-13 in the 4th. Pats lost 34-27.

Ultimately yes it's a good hire from the stand point of how few yard his defenses give up but ultimately wins vanish from you in the 4th quarter in his defense. It happened to the Pats, it happened to us and if you guys have leads in the 4th this season, it definitely will happen to you guys.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Moon1

Moon1 Starter

If what you say is true, then I can't imagine that it's something that Robinson and Vrabel haven't noticed. If it's a pattern over years that has widely differentiated from what takes place in similar situations around the league it should be a point of emphasis. Maybe it still will happen, but if normal fans are noticing it our new head coach that specializes in defense better notice it too. Otherwise this team is screwed no matter who the new DC is.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

So over 6 years teams came back in the fourth quarter an average of about 2.5 times a season?

I can't imagine that being a huge difference over every other DC in the league. Especially a Titans DC.

There are many, many factors at play. This isn't proof of him of being a bad DC. (And I'm not really all that excited about hiring him) Just seems weird to pick out a few games over so many years as proof he isn't a good coach. I'm sure we can nit pick every coach the same and make them look bad in some way.

6. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

The offense needs to stay on the field in the 4th quarter then.

7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I believe Pees is a stop gap until Coombs is ready. Like it was mentioned, I'm sure Vrabel and JRob are aware of any shortcomings.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

This sounds reminiscent of games such as last year's SB. The entire team gets complacent, takes their foot off the gas, and can't get back on it until it's too late. If your defense gives up 21 in the 4th, the offense must be run by Mularkey and breaking consecutive 3 and out records. That's a bad performance, but it also sounds like the offense was hanging them out to dry.

9. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

This.
    Head Coach sets the tempo on both Offense and Defense. Do not see Vrabel as being afraid to hit the gas. Seems like he would rather go down in a blaze of glory than come up 1 yard short.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

luckily we can counterract with the QB with the most 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives, something your ravens never had.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar