Titans Hire Chris Palmer as OC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Architect, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

seems like a pretty smart guy to me..

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

exactly, he could simply be a chalkboard and development guy

3. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Agreed, you can't question the judgement when he we haven't seen a game under the new offense yet. I think getting such an experienced guy will mean the playbook will be solid. Also, just because he sucked as a head coach doesn't mean he will suck for us as a co-ordinator, lots of great co-ordinators have sucked as a head coach. I feel that you can't judge his career on the success of Carr (whos reasons for sucking was 90% his own fault), a coach can only do so much and if the QB sucks on the field its not like the coach can play for him. He has coached some good QB's and has a wealth of experience. I'm not enthused by the hire, but maybe thats a good thing. I'd rather have someone good than someone who will be on the front page. We all remember how hyped we good over Randy Moss coming here and it was for very little.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

Agreed. I'm a dedicated Titans fan, but in all honesty this offseason wasn't looking too exciting. Insert Munch and now I'm on here checking crap 2-3 times a day! Munch has me excited with his attitude and way of doing things, so if Munch hired this guy he's fine by me.

On another note, he has had exposure to a different league which could really help us out. Maybe he could bring in something that will throw defenses off balance because its not something they see everyday. Ie: the impact of the wildcat in Miami. I'm not saying we resort to trick plays or a college offense but a less or under utilized scheme by today's NFL standards.

5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

I hate to say it, but I'm with Kuharsky (sigh) on this one.

I'll wait to judge our staff till games are played.

6. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

Adding to my early speculation of a QB early...

"I have known Mike as a player and a coach for 21 years. He was an outstanding player and is a terrific coach," Palmer said in the statement.

"Mike and I have had some really good conversations and meetings and I am excited to be joining the staff. Offensively, I am very impressed with the personnel they already have in place, but it doesn't matter what level you are talking about -- high school, college, pro -- you are only going to be as good as your quarterback and that will be something we work on. I also believe in running the football and the Titans have historically done such a good job of that, whether it was Eddie George or Chris Johnson. Running it creates opportunities in the play-action game and helps the quarterback."

Cited: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6124751

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Wow, Interesting. Never even thought of this.

8. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

I'm not putting too much stock into this yet but its something to think about...

Notice how he says, "...Running it creates opportunities in the play-action game and helps the quarterback."

Now if running helps the QB with play-action...a running qb helps the running game as well with the (Vick / VY) effect. Does this mean Cam Newton? The reason people say VY failed was his lack of development. Now we just brought in a guy who did good work developing qbs? Along with the evidence that we are going for a QB early?

9. SARGO127

SARGO127 Starter

He played QB at my current college (Southern Connecticut University)...and I only know that because it says so on his Wiki page...meh

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's not a bad hire. He has both his positives and negatives (Carr and Couch, both 1st round picks on expansions teams) but Eli during his Superbowl year, well experienced.

It'll be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar