Titans, Haynesworth Talking As Deadline Approaches

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan4eva24, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When is the deadline?

2. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

4:00 pm EST today.

3. brianmaxwell

brianmaxwell Guest

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I don't doubt that he should pursue every dime he can get, but let's be real here about a few things.

1. We all know he WILL get injured and miss time this season.

2. He will report out of shape, and be gased every other play.

3. If he gets paid, he WONT be as motivated.

4. Our defense will be exposed yet again, b/c we have a defunct Defensive Coordinator, and not necessarily for a lack of talent (except for our other corner).

If I can only have a great player, two downs of evry other defensive series then you can keep him. I'd rather have a player that's motivated to play NFL football everyday, every down, even if their impact is only half of AH's output, for half the money. We just need to find that player.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Only problem with your assesment is without AH last year we don't sniff the playoffs. That leap over the line against the Falcons was the difference in that game alone.

Even if he does miss a few games he is still worth keeping because he makes our defense dominate when he is in there. He is a difference maker. Hopefully we can get him signed and with someone like Antonio Johnson stepping up so we can have a solid three DT rotation AH can stay fresh and only have to play 2/3 of the downs.

There are plenty of guys "motivated" to play NFL football everyday and every down (maybe Kevin Vickerson is that guy) but they don't have the impact in the game like AH does (did you watch the games where AH was out?). If you want to have a dominate defense and a team with the talent to possibly compete for a SB you have to have the horses. AH is a difference maker and a dominate player. I also think these assinine comments about him being lazy are unwarranted.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Okay AH has 1 season worth talking about, which was last season. Which happened to be a contract year. I still don't trust him with a huge contract.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Or maybe, just maybe, Albert is coming into his prime and his performances last year weren't because of the motivation of a contract year, but were more because he is peaking as an NFL player and for the first time in his career he was playing alongside a truly disruptive RE.

Last season Haynesworth was just 26 years old. He just recently turned 27. He came out of Tennessee as a junior (and generaly accepted as immature) and for a top Defensive Tackle he is still relatively young. If we sign him up long-term I'd expect 5 or 6 more years out of him.

The bottom line is, right now he is irreplaceable on the Titans roster, and I don't think it is worth the gamble to avoid potential complacency.

Do you really think Washburn would let him cruise through a season?

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think anyone should be surprised if a deal isn't reached today. With all the cap room the Titans have, they can afford to franchise him and see if Haynesworth can string together two quality seasons before making him the wealthiest DT in the league.

Though Albert won't sign the tender until close to the start of the regular season, he has as much incentive to perform well while franchised as before. I don't think he would risk his value (and possibly his career) by coming to BSP out-of-shape.

The issue of using the franchise tag in '09 could remain. I could see the Titans agreeing to franchise AH for only a season if he meets certain incentives this season. This would give the Titans the entire season to evaluate AH and work behind the scenes on a long-term deal.

If the Titans refuse to franchise AH for only one season, this could get interesting as the regular season approaches. Though I don't see AH holding out, it's happened before. Would the Titans be willing to enter the season without AH just so they could franchise him again in '09?

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's a few of the franchise tag situations over the past few season.

Asante Samuel held out all of training camp and the first three preseason game. He threatened to hold out the first 10 games of the season and return for the last six which would have given him an accrued season and make him eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring if the Patriots opted not to use the franchise marker again. The Pats reportedly agreed to not franchise him again if he played 60% of the snaps and the team won 12 games.

Lance Briggs said he'd not play another snap for the Bears when they hit him with the tag last year. Everything pointed to a long holdout until he had a change of heart and arrived to training camp. This past March, they worked out a long-term deal.

In '07, Cory Redding was franchised and a deal was worked out in the final hours before the deadline when most felt it wouldn't get done. It make him the riches DT in the league at that time.

10. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I concur, AH is a difference maker, but he has not proved anything but that he has had one successful season, but can he be counted on game in and game out?? NO!, that's all he's proved. That's where I see that it's not worth it to give him a big payday right now, maybe later, but definately not now.

Our defense is/was far from dominate. We could not spell 3 and out, during the second half of the season, pretty much even when AH was back.

And yes, I did see the games where AH was out. More than anything, I believe that it showed us how poor the coaching is (again see Schwartz for this), than how DOMINATE, AH truly is as a DT.

I have no idea what our other young D-linemen have, but it's worth the gamble only giving him a tender and not a long term contract if he's only gonna show up half the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar