Titans have no money for Simmons

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RockyTop Fox, Nov 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

And go with who on offense? Willis, Daly and ????

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

PK has a good free article on it, somehow he's the optimist
    Jeffery Simmons' contract comments alarming, but don't panic yet

"Is that strictly cap related? Or does it go to a deeper liquidity issue connected to Amy Adams Strunk's buyout of her sister's share of the team not long ago and her upcoming spending on the new stadium?

I’ve presumed the Titans would give Simmons a big contract after the 2022 season, with four years of work on his resume. Digging around a bit, I still believe they will.

After trading A.J. Brown in a contract dispute after three years, if the Titans didn’t pay Simmons, there would be a fan uprising."

At least Jeff is handling this a lot better than AJ did.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I'm sure JRob the Elite will figure it out.

Lewan isn't playing now in case you missed it and he's gone anyway...Woods and Tannehill aren't that great so no big loss there

#13 Ontario Titan, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

That was my thought as well. Lewan for sure is gone, THill might be able to restructure to stay as a vet if there is no other QB OR cut him as well.
    Not sure what Woods makes, like to keep him but not at the expense of Simmons.

I’m willing to bet there’s a bunch of other possible moves too. Isn’t Bud Dupree a
    large contract that can also get dumped?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

Rather not toy with Simmons. Landry was (is) expendable.

6. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I thought Bud would be an easy cut in 2023 but our defense plays so much better when he's on the field. We probably need to hang on to him.

upload_2022-11-2_22-5-43.png

Other saving options would be:
    Tannehill (17.8M)
    Lewan (14.8M)
    Woods (13.8) ((who needs WRs anyway))
    Autry (7.3M)
    Cunningham (9.3M)

• High Five High Five x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

I like Dupree and like to keep him as well but like Woods, not at the expense of Simmons.

Simmons and Autry make that D go. Cunningham is a tackle machine but is that something that can be replaced for cheaper?

It seems with current contracts, next year could be the official “rebuild” year.
    Better just win the SB this year.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

There’s speculation that the conversation in question was had BEFORE the Titans traded AJ. Simmons didn’t clarify when he was told this. Much ado about nothing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Titans didn't sign AJ because it would have made it very difficult to sign Simmons. On a Vrabel team a strong defense is way way more important than a WR. I will be shocked if we don't find a way to sign Simmons.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Have you seen how the LT is playing? Did you see our other option at QB? Woods, I can agree with...nothing special... But you have to fill those holes with someone and they ain't on this roster at the moment.

I'm sure Lewan gets dumped if he doesn't take a huge pay cut but we have seen what happens trying to piece together an OL.

Tannehill has won the Titans a lot more games than he has lost them. Upgrade at OC would fix a lot of the problem there. Willis isn't the answer and taking a shot in the dark on a rookie has a very small chance of working.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar