Titans GM and McNair Agent Still in Early Stages of Contract Talks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Bus Cook, agent representing Steve McNair, and Titans GM Floyd Reese are in the early stages of talks, according to the agent, in hammering out a workable situation for the 11-year veteran quarterback. "We're still talking. We haven't gotten far yet. Steve wants to be there, and I believe they want him there, but if we can't work it out, then we may have to go someplace else," Cook said. When asked whether or not salary proposals have been traded with Reese, Cook replied, "I haven't really traded any numbers with Floyd. And I don't know if I want to trade numbers with Floyd, because every time I do, my numbers always end up looking better than his."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

What an odd statement... how does he expect to do any negotiation if no offers are ever made...

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Come on guys, this isn't a new thing, just get it done. Quit playing games Cook, Mcnair shouldn't be looking for a big upgrade here...

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Reckon there are a few teams out there that would be interested in McNair. It's just weird that the other teams are only asking about Volek. Do they know something we don't? Given their choice, they want Volek over McNair?
    "Things that make you say 'Humm'".
    ________
    Arizona Marijuana Dispensaries

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I would imagine Floyd wouldnt mind waiting until as close to March 1 as possible, so he has a better idea how the draft is going to shake out... if we land Leinhert or Young, thats going to significantly impact Mac's future.

And Cook's comment about numbers is just stupid... duh, that what they call negotiating.

7. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I'm just ready to get this deal finished. I just can't imagine a possibility that Mac9 isn't our QB next yr. If he wanted to retire that would be one thing, but it appears that he wants to play here. So why wouldn't this get worked out.
    Steve has had the same agent for years and they never have tried to break the bank, so why would we think they would want too much money now?

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think teams are looking at Billy because they believe in the end there's little to no chance McNair shakes loose from Tennessee. Also teams will want Billy for the future. The teams likely looking at an 11-year veteran typically don't go for that type of QB until later in the offseason, after they're freed.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't think he does. I think he wants it crossed off the list like he says. Besides, it's not like they're going to sign McNair to a 7-year deal or anything. Three is about right, maybe four. Also, even if they do a deal, they can still cut him if they wanted to. We've seen that before. Lastly, if we land Leinart or Young, you certainly don't want to cut McNair and take away the best mentor on the team. I think Mac will be around the same amount of time regardless of whether we draft those guys or not.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Overall, I wonder if we're talking a reduction in salary here. I don't think we're going to escalate Steve's cap number in any way. So naturally, Bus wants less less, Reese wants more less. I don't like the agent-speak, but it's part of it. Hopefully this won't drag out. What do you guys think is a fair salary for McNair, and a fair contract going forward?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar