Titans Face Big Decisions After '09 Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I really don't know what the hell you are talking about, or if you are just looking to start forum arguments.

I said three signings for the Titans were critical this offseason. AH, Bironas, and Scaife. I got 2/3.

We'll miss AH, I believe. But I'm not pissing and moaning about it now, because 100 million, 42 guaranteed is a ****load. SO we are forced to go in another direction.

Need to inflate numbers to help your argument?? I know the Steelers were completely devastated when they lost Hope and Joey Porter... oh wait, they just won another Superbowl.

This is what teams have to do. You have a core group you hold onto as long as you can. Certain players you have to let go, even if you wouldn't want to, because the cap dictates it.

Not many of our free agents to be next season are absolute must have re-signs. Our team can still be playoff bound with the turnover I'm suggesting.

And how many good years do you think Harper, Kearse, and Mawae have left anyway??

Whatever you need to make up to help your arguments. Yeah, I think losing AH... it would probably be better to score more points. I think a WR would help that. But I forgot in your world, WRs are worthless.

Jason Jones, Bulluck, Thornton, Hope, Griffin, Finnegan > KVB, Kearse, Tulluch, Harper, Tony Brown.

I'd like to keep KVB, but the cap may not allow it. And as I said, I'm interested to see what kind of season he has, coming off injury, and without AH.

Are the free agents coming due next offseason really that much worse than this offseason??? I don't see the decisions next offseason nearly as BIG as the decision on whether to re-sign AH or not. That's the biggest decision this franchise has faced, and will face in free agency for a long time, because of the amount of money involved.

2. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

Why go crazy about next offseason? Thats a year away. It is really simple, we will loose some, and win some. KVB and Keith arent getting any younger you know.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I didn't inflate any numbers, we have 13 free agents next year, 9 starters, and you only think we should keep 2 of them.

Just for clarification, I'm not "pissing and moaning" about Haynesworth, I'm actually glad we didn't sign him for that money. However, the reason I'm glad is because it will enable us to keep more of those FAs next season, because that will be a BIG deal.

I'm not saying it's doomsday, but that's a huge amount of turnover from starters. It's a major shift in our team. We lose a bunch of people every year, but no, I don't think losing Carr, Simms, and King compare to losing Brown, KVB, and Tulloch.

Yes, every team has to make tough decisions about which players to keep and which to let go, but the decisions that we make next offseason will be a big deal, which is the part that you deny. Who stays and who goes next season has the potential to drastically change our team.

I'm not making anything up, you said that you don't think those free agents next year are a big deal, but that's half of our starting defense. And if you don't think letting Al go had something to do with wanting to keep several of those players next year, then you don't know how free agency works.

4. GoTitans3801

Also, side note...

I'm not saying this is any kind of crisis, I'm just saying that next offseason will be very important, because of the amount of potential change to the team. Who we keep, and who we don't, will be big decisions, and next year we will have more of them to make than usual. If anything, I'm excited to see how we handle it, though as I've said, I think we'll lock up 2-3 of those guys before the season starts.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Kearse, crumpler, mawae, lendale will be gone for sure. Kearse will be pretty old then and with young players like ford and hayes we won't need him. Also a reason kvb might be gone. If we draft a guy like johnson in the first rd you can count on it.

KVB is a maybe..

We will sign amano, ball, tulluch and bulluck.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Alex1939

Here is the math lesson for ya:

[9 Free Agent Starters] - [2 Re-Signed] = [7 Starters Lost]

NOT 9, or 10.... BUT 7.

(This doesn't even account for the fact that LW isn't really a starter)

It's a shift, I just don't know how major. Losing the less important starters shouldn't be near as devastating as losing the elite players, such as AH.

No ****. I never said anything to the contrary.

It's more like business as usual... NOT A BIG DEAL.

I don't think the team is drastically changed by most of the possible losses next off season. In fact, if KVB, Bulluck, and Scaife were all re-signed... I think the losses are not that significant.

You must value Tulloch, Harper, Kearse, Tony Brown quite a bit more than I do.

(and please don't get me wrong, I like Tulloch, and the others, quite a bit, I'd like him back, just don't see losing him as DEVASTATING or that BIG OF A DEAL)

Dude whatever. :rolleyes:

Of course releasing AH has SOMETHING TO DO with wanting to be able to re-sign players in the future. What is this... state the most obvious thing possible?!?

7. GoTitans3801

Trust me, I don't need a math lesson. The starters on D are clear - Bulluck, Tulloch, KVB, Kearse, Brown, and Harper. On offense, it's less clear, except for Mawae, Amano, and at least one TE. The reason I alternated between 7 and 8 was that I'm not sure who I want to consider a starter. In our starting offense, we've got either 3 WR (rare), 2 TEs(most often), or 2 RB(what we usually use to introduce the "starting offense). If we have two TEs, then scaife and crumpler count as starters. If we use two RBs, then Lendale counts. Either way, I think losing either 7 or 8 starters is a bigger than normal deal. You don't, that's ok, we just disagree.

Obviously, losing one or two of the less important ones isn't as big a deal as Haynesworth. It's when you lump in that many of them together that it's more of an impact, that's the point here.

Also, I'm pretty sure I never said it was devastating, just that it was a significant year.

I want/expect for us to get rid of Mawae, Harper, and Kearse. As you say, that's not really that big a deal, their production can be replaced for less money. I don't think that we can do that across the board very easily. The more changes you make, the more significant it is for team cohesion.

Despite your insults about stating the obvious, the point is that Albert was a big deal this season, and we let him go partially because we valued keeping multiple other players next season with that money. To dumb this down, that means that we think all those players, collectively, are MORE important, than the decision this season.

8. Alex1939

Maybe I just completely missed it, but I don't remember LW and CJ in the backfield at the same time.

I do understand it is a little more difficult to say who is the starter in some offensive positions.. LW and CJ are RBBC, but I easily consider CJ the more important of the two.

I'm sure it was a factor in the decision about the players due to become free agents next season. But honestly, I think the biggest thing was not wanting to tie that much money up in 1 single player. I think that was the biggest factor in the decision, outweighing other concerns such as future free agents.

And I apologize for being emotional and insulting with my posts. I'm just tired of some discussions here, because I think in truth, none of us are that far apart. No one wants us to go into cap hell. All of us would like to see WRs be upgraded. All of us want the team to succeed. We may have different viewpoints, or ideas to achieve that, but they aren't as drastically different as you sometimes suggest, imo.

Maybe to help clarify my comment that I don't view next season's free agents as "BIG DECISIONS"... If Griffin, Finnegan, CJ, and Roos were free agents next season... I would think that was a BIG DEAL requiring BIG DECISIONS. The list on this thread... I just kind of feel like, eh.. and the decisions aren't really that big. Just business as usual. That is my perspective.

9. 4EverYoung

4EverYoung Camp Fodder

Extend Tulluch this offseason long term, should be cheap.
    Extend Boy Scaife at 4million per year for 5.
    Give Ball a 4 year deal that is very good for a back up.
    Brown wait to see how he plays this season w/o Big Al. Try to sign him before the start of free agency next year.
    Sign KVB to a BIG 3/4 year contract next offseason.
    I think Keith has 2 more good years in him. Franchise him then let someone else pay him for all the great underrated work he has done for the Titans

Think about signing LenDale. Running back is always the easy position to find a back up
    Harper, Mawae, Kearse can all retire.

I think our first three picks should be CB, DE, Interior O-line in some order, That is, after we pick Kenny Britt in the first round.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...huh?

Take a look at how the Pats used to go about personel and how the Steelers have always done it. When a guy like Joey Porter is considered they're best LB and they let him walk...you'd think the Steelers D would take hit, right? Nope.

If you're essentialy replacing the guy with the same guy, it's not nearly as problematic as you make it appear. Yes, turnover on the OL CAN create issues while the line gels...but it doesn't mean the sky is falling.

As proof, how well did CJ run on the Ravens in the playoff game? How much of a problem was it not having Mawae there? And you're talking about a backup OL in Harris going against a Pro Bowl caliber NT in Ngata.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar