Titans End Preseason with 23-21 Win Over Packers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Titans wrapped up the preseason with a 23-21 win over the Packers. As has been the case much of the preseason, Vince Young and the first-team offense was inconsistent and could not score a touchdown despite four trips into the red zone the first half. That means the first-team offense went 0-for-the-preseason in touchdowns in 19 possessions over four games and produced just five field goals. "We're disappointed we couldn't get the ball in the end zone, but when you play a preseason opponent in the regular season you have to be selective about what you do, as they were. So you just let guys play," said Coach Jeff Fisher. "The hardest thing to do is get the ball in the end zone when you are not game planning. Preseason is over. You guys can write about it all the way to the opener if you want. It's OK with me."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

Observations From Last Night

Even more disturbing than our offensive woes is the poor play of our special teams. Two weeks in a row we have started drives with poor field position. That has to change for the Jags game! Our coverage team are getting beat big time, giving up huge return yards. That adds pressure on our Defense. Is anyone else concerned?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

A few impressions. Nothing earth-shattering.

I thought Young did okay last night. I counted 4-5 bad passes of the 27 he threw the first half. The second pass after the big McCareins reception where he overshot Jones wasn't easy and gives us a good idea where he is as a passer. He's not going to be consistent with touch passes. The fade attempts were also off. Otherwise, besides a late pass on the slant to McCareins and bouncing a ball to CJ on a screen, he did okay.

It was good to see him running. The shot he took on the sidelines was a bit spooky.

I felt better about the WR play though they didn't get much separation in the redzone. Young threw away a couple of balls which I thought showed some maturity since neither had an open receiver.

I thought White looked solid running the ball. CJ had his moments. I think we'll see a lot of those tosses to him in the flat which will keep things more open for Crumpler in the middle.

I don't think the OL has looked particularly good in pass protection the last two weeks. Young took a number of big shots.

Defensively, besides Griffins whiff and Finn's penalty, I thought all looked good. Tulloch is a beast and I would not be shocked to see the Titans run a little 3-4 this season to get him on the field more. Ganther may have made a late push with some good special teams play last night.

I bet the team spends a little extra time working the red zone again this week. Despite what Fisher is saying, that is the biggest concern facing the team right now.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

What's the word on Crump? I haven't heard a thing since he left the game.

I was also a little disappointed with the Titans special teams play. I'm expecting this to be a strength.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not sure how many of those guys on special teams will be on the final 53-man roster. If that was the group which will be doing it, then I would be concerned as well.

No word on Crump though he trotted off looking pretty good. I assume TitansOnline will post up some postgame comments soon.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Good point, I hadn't though of that. Hey, it's early... the caffeine hasn't jump started my melon yet.

7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Oh... and #55 has to start. The guy is a tough, physical, playmaker.

8. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

well the preseason is over and i still think the titans have more questions then answers. i have been saying this since the begining of camp and i know some of you on this sight have thought i was way off base but i still belive we have the same problems that we had at the end of last season and only time will tell whats going to happen. our special teams play (return wise) has been a thorn in our side since the end of the 06 season. we looked a little better against the pass but i still think we have some questions against the pass especially against the deep ball but thank god chris hope is back. our reciever play scares me to death and our inconsistent passing game will effect a strong running game.. i was very criticle about the titans picking johnson but so far i have been definetly been proven wrong and as the season starts i really look forward to seeing him and lendale in the backfield but also i know that just because johnson has had a good preseason doesnt mean he is going to be good but its hard not to get excited about his play making abilities. the same goes for vince young i am really excited about heimdinger workin w/ young and exposing youngs strengths and making him more affective. bottom line it looks like the titans can run on any body and stop the run against any body but if we pass the ball it looks like we are in trouble and when the other team passes the ball we are in serious trouble.

9. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

We have a good secondary, unless one of the CBs gets hurt. Then, we are in big trouble.

10. titansfan4eva24

titansfan4eva24 VY 4 Life

i am still afraid of harper getting burned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar