Game Day Thread Titans @ Eagles GDT

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Dec 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I haven’t said chit…. Have the flu and was puking my guts out… didn’t catch a play. I’ll watch this obvious debacle later this week. Good news is not one team in our division won today. Progress by nothing.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Watching the game probably did that.

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

I don't care how if the staff views Daley as the better run blocker, but Radunz needs to be slotted in at LT. This is pathetic.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'd be for subbing Radunz in at LT on obvious passing downs.... 3rd and long Radunz comes in ... you can still run screens and draws with Radunz so it isn't like it is just totally giving away that we are passing.

But we really need to be playing with 6 OL all game...extra run blocker and extra pass protector.... I bet Tanny and Henry would be all for it.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

Jon Robinson drafted Isiah Wilson in the first round. He followed that up by drafting Farley, Radunz and McCreary in the first 2 rounds the following 2 years. Then he traded a draft pick away for Daley. Starting to figure out this guy’s not a good talent evaluator?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

If your trying to imply that I'm some kind of Robinson nut hugger, you know better than that. I criticize Robinson when I feel it is needed.

Robinson has had some poor drafts recently, particularly the 2020 and 2021 drafts where only Fulton has shown himself to be a decent starter. Weaver has shown flashes, but looks to be a rotational player at best, though that's pretty much what you get in the 4th round. The staff obviously thinks low of Radunz, but at this point, they need to just put him and see what is actually there.

The 2022 draft is obviously a work in progress, but Burks, Chig, and Phillips showed some flashes. McReary is getting torched in recent weeks, but corners usually take a year or so to acclimate to the NFL game, so he should get another season to see how he adjusts. Willis is even more of a project than I think any fan thought he would be. NPF looks to be a potential adequate starter at RT for the next few seasons, but nothing exceptional.

The biggest issue with Robinson has been his offseason moves. Many of those in recent seasons have blown up in his face, ala Julio Jones and Robert Woods. Jones cost too much in draft capital and had the added effect of needing Tannehill to restructure his contract, making Tannehill's cap hit ridiculously high. Woods clearly isn't 100% recovered from the ACL (not a shocker), although I'd imagine Woods was only targeted because of his run blocking ability. The Titans will likely move on from him in the offseason, but that restructure the Titans had to do with him in the middle of the season will make it a little more painful. While on the field, Dupree has mostly been good in the Titans scheme, but he can't stay healthy. Luckily the Titans can move on from him this offseason. I don't need to mention AJ do I (although Brown didn't appear to really want to stay anyways). Robinson has a had few successes with FA signings (Autry obviously comes to mind), but those successes have not outweighed the impacts of the more recent misses.

However, the Titans problems aren't just at the foot of Robinson. Vrabel has accountability too and if you think Robinson and Vrabel aren't lock step in the philosophy of this organization, well I have some nice beachfront property to sell you). The Titans run what can be at best described as an antiquated offensive scheme that emphasizes a power running game and physicality over any semblance of a more modern passing game. Don't like the Daley trade, neither do I, but I'd imagine Robinson brought him in as a backup because the only thing Daley does decently is run block. A majority of the offensive line personnel brought in were known for their physicality and run blocking. It's also no secret that Vrabel prizes WR who can run block. You hate Downing, so should every Titans fan. But Vrabel hired him and Downing is basically running the scheme that LaFluer and Smith ran while they were OC of the Titans.

At the core, Downing just runs the offense worse (little motion at the snap and utilizing personnel groupings that pretty much give away the play are just two of the main problems). Combine that with the star players starting to decline at QB and RB and a worse overall personnel from 2019 and 2020 in particular, well you have an offense that has only scored more than 20 points once since the Washington game.

And then of course, are the injuries, especially on the defensive line this season. Autry, Dupree, and Simmons all being hurt at various points have decimated what was a pretty damn good DL that carried the defense. Simmons hasn't been the same since he suffered the ankle injury and then played over 80 snaps against the Chiefs after the injury and Autry absence is obvious.

At the end of the day, the Titans are a team that can beat the dregs of the league (6-0), but have problems against teams considered above average and beyond (1-5 against teams with a winning record). The Titans have had a pretty decent run over the past few seasons, but it appears they may be hitting a wall so to speak. Robinson and Vrabel's records have earned them the ability to try and right the ship so to speak (even a possible rebuild in the coming seasons). We shall see if they can do that, or will the two of them basically be remembered as Reese & Fisher 2.0.

#716 wrench248, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Those are some ugly plays. Not limiting to Daly being the trash either.
    Honestly, Philly did a good job attacking and adjusting when 2 or more DL beat their matchup to ensure they didn’t get in each other’s way.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Those JRob “value” moves get old quick.

he tries to get guys off major injury at cheap value in hopes they can produce like they did prior to injury.
    Not only did he not really get a deal on Dupree, Jones, or woods, but he’s set the team back with first round picks that failed, ie Farley in this case.
    Simmons is really the big exception coming off injury and performing.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Simmons is the only exception. Not enough to say all those other picks and signings of injured or previously injured players that ended up failures were worth it.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

It's like when you hit driver in the fairway. Because you nailed it once in the last 50 tries, you always are reaching for that club. It's time a caddie tell JRob to select the 5 wood instead.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar