Titans Defense Could Return to Form

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I agree. I thought Brown looked pretty good for his first action. Was involved in a lot of plays, didn't seem to be avoiding contact.

I would have liked to have seen more from wimbley and morgan though.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Yea same here. It seemed like a lot of our pressure was coming from up the middle. That was good to see too, but you always want DE's that can get to the QB too. As long as we're getting to the QB, I'm happy. It didn't seem like we got nearly enough pressure last year.

This year so far, we've been getting pressure even without blitzing.

3. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

the thing that we did was adjust... something cecil never did....
    still.. we need to put more pressure on the QB.... cant have unproven QBs like Flynn go perfect on us...much less seasoned vets such as Brady and Rivers

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I wrote down a few notes while I was watching the game:

- Kameron Wimbley does not look undersized in the least bit.
    - Colin McCarthy finished every snap around the ball carrier. He reminds me a lot of Ray Lewis.
    - Sen'derrick Marks had a good game.
    - Alteraan Verner is an amazing tackler and the pass interference call was BS.
    - Casey, Klug, Martin, Marks, and Clayton all penetrated and made plays. These guys are probably all going to make the squad.
    - We need more pressure off of the ends still.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I pretty much agree with everything here so far.

The D didn't look great on that 1st drive, but they did get it together in the redzone when it mattered most and held them to an FG (Plus you have to consider that if it weren't for that BS PI call on Verner, they might not even get the FG). After that 1st drive however, the D did a good job at getting off the field. Several players were getting good penetration and making plays in the back field. I love to see that.

Not enough can be said about McCarthy. That dude should be a probowler for us this year. He came in last year as a rook and looked great, and he seems to be picking up where he left off. I love the Ray Lewis comparison (I made the same comparison in another thread actually), and I think it fits what McCarthy is doing right now. He just has Great instincts and can really sniff out a play. We have been missing that type of player on D for a while now, and I think McCarthy can be as good or better than any LB we have had. I think he will be a great leader on defense and will be one of those players that makes the people around him better.

I'm not that concerned about the completions that we gave up at this point either. It being the 1st preseason game and all, there are going to be kinks to work out and the guys still need to adjust to the new players/schemes.

Like others have said, would like to see the DE's getting a little more involved, but its hard to get a lot of sacks/pressure in 1 quarter or so. By the time we have fully implemented the D and guys are going for a full game, our DE's will get their opportunities to get to the QB.

Overall I was impressed with the D. And I think we will be much improved from last year.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

It looked to me like the 1st quarter was scripted and game planned for the Seahawks offense which is rare in the 1st preseason game. We were caught off guard and adjusted well. As of now we may have 3 or 4 pro-bowlers on defense. McCarthy is a future super star.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Great point. His tackling skill is extremely overlooked. Multiple times he had 1v1 tackles that coulda been big games. He was taking RBs down like butter, whatever that means.

8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I think the D has some solid pieces. McCourtey and Verner are pretty good duo. Campbell looks the part of a future starter.

McCarthy is a very instinctive MLB. Ayers I'd like to see a bit more of and Brown is still a question but high upside.

Griff is ok and Babs lead in tackles last season.

Casey is a good run stopping DT and klug is a sack machine.

DE is still a question.

9. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I know that pretty much everybody agrees the defense looked very good in the 2nd pre-season game. My question is how good do you think this unit can be? Top half of the league? Top 10? An elite defense in the top 5??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar