Titans cut Adoree Jackson and Dennis Kelly

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Full of hindsight? I stated that if JRob was contemplating using a 1st round pick on a RT he might as well kept Conklin. Turns out the strategy was exposed even more so because of the dud we took. I explained the odds are only 56% to start even with a first round pick. I also said I was fine with letting Conklin go and signing Kelly but not fine with letting Conklin go, signing Kelly AND still using a 1st round pick at RT. Ahhhh keep in mind that Clowney and Beasley were ONE year signings. Which mean even if they had solid years we are back to this scenario again with both of them as FAs. Which means we are still signing one of them or Dupree. Now we signed Dupree but still don't have an answer at RT unless Lamm is better than expected. Amazing how people will argue a totally screwed up strategy by JRob until they are blue in the face. It isn't about Conklin being a super man RT as much as it is about solidifying the spot so we don't have to worry about it (draft or FA) for a few years. We accomplished NOTHING at edge or RT by letting Conklin walk.

Oh, by the way Conklin's CAP hit last year on that deal was .... $8 mil. It is $13 mil this year. So do the math. Last year we saved a couple of mil on the CAP not signing Conklin, and this year we saved $5 mil ($4 mil to Lamm and $4 mil dead money for Kelly).

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If JRob goes WR in the first next Thursday, does it make letting Corey Davis go a bad move?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

I actually think an argument can be made from both sides. The Titans have only 42% of their roster as “homegrown” talent. Is that enough or does that put you in constant replace mode? On the other hand, given our previous roster, you would expect to bring in more outside talent. In the most simplistic form, keeping good to great players at a position means you can focus on building strengths at other spots. Theoretically, that would be a deeper, stronger team. If high picks are constantly replaced, are you simply on a roster treadmill and stuck at a certain talent level?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

We all know Davis never lived up to his draft position and he wasn't worth the contract (we replaced him with Reynolds which isn't much of a drop off) and the draft is absolutely loaded at WR. Davis isn't even close to the level of WR Brown is so replacing him is not a big deal. Sure we might draft a guy even worse but Davis is an average #2.

Now if Davis was a little better, more consistent and not dinged as often I'd have been on board at keeping. Thing was that Davis wasn't able to get separation consistently even when he had single coverage.

Your whole logic on letting Conklin go is based on a false concept that he sucked. Not supported by about anyone else rating these guys.

The top 101 players from the 2019 NFL season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF
    Here is Conklin getting rated as the 81st best player based on his crappy 2019 play. Right.

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Why trade back up to 8 to take Conklin and let him walk? Just stay at 15 and take Taylor Decker.

With good OTs in place, should have locked Conklin up early.

According to Pro Football Focus, Lewan was the No. 4 offensive tackle in football in 2017 while his teammate Jack Conklin was No. 3

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. TitanJeff

Why are you looking at his 2019 stats? Again, JRob has to make the decision whether or not to pick up his fifth-year option BEFORE the start of the '19 season.

As for Davis, he had 984 receiving yards last season. But, like Conklin, JRob made the decision to decline Davis' fifth-season option based on his THIRD season where he actually declined in production from '18.

I agree with JRob's decision for both despite both having solid final seasons with the Titans. The salary cap balances out talent across the league as it's designed to do. JRob had to keep Tanny and Henry which means either tag Conklin or give him a deal similar to what he received from Cleveland which is $42M. With Kelly playing well, it was a no-brainer and, as the season played out, Henry's stats improved as did sacks given up vs. '19.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. TitanJeff

With the salary cap, every team stays in replacement mode. Unless a player is a difference-maker, first-round picks rarely see a long-term deal on the team that drafted them.

I was shocked at the number but can't remember where I saw it.

As for the Titans, they've not signed a first-round pick to a longterm deal since Lewan. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Derrick Morgan.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What in Kentucky are you talking about? The 2019 stats are what you go by if you want to RE-SIGN him to a three year deal. The decision is an entire year apart from deciding on the 5th year option (which I agreed with in both cases).

How many pro bowls has Davis been to? It is like comparing a JAG to a pro bowl player. Reynolds can put up Davis numbers with our QB and Brown across from him. Davis and Conklin are on completely different levels. By the way Conklin was the HIGHEST rated RT last year per PFF in the NFL.

I've also said about 5 times now I was fine signing Kelly after letting Conklin go. What was stupid deciding to let Conklin go and then using a 1st round pick on a RT after signing Kelly (not to mention had he waited a year this class is much better for OTs with starting caliber OTs available in the 3rd round). Seriously, is this too hard to understand? Oh, and 984 yards for a WR in the 1980s is pretty impressive. Last year Davis was #20 in receiving yards. Not bad but not something to strut about and that was his best season.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Which has way more to do with the guys we drafted and not where they were drafted. Maybe if we drafted guys like Henry and Brown in the 1st round ya think they would re-sign them? We draft duds like Warmack and Mariota and that tends to happen. Draft more guys like Simmons.....

Now with that said this year was a little different and with the CAP not being such an issue we might try and keep Adoree or Davis who both got mega deals. IMO Davis was simply not worth a mega deal and probably not Adoree but I can see keeping Adoree if we had more CAP.

List of 1st round picks since 2011:
    Locker, Kendall Wright, Warmack, Lewan, Mariota, Conklin, Davis, Jackson, Evans, Simmons, Wilson. 5 total duds, 3 studs (yes, Conklin is a stud RT), and three decent starters.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. TitanJeff

So you’re saying that after JRob declined the option that he should have tried to sign him before he hit free agency?

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of any team declining the option and then signing after the season but let’s roll with that.

First of all, how do you know he didn’t try to sign Conklin? He may have.

Are you so familiar with the Titans cap situation that you know he could sign Conk and still be able to sign Henry and Tanny? I sure don’t.

How about being able to address the pass rush which was the biggest need going into last season?

Letting Conklin go was purely a cap decision knowing Kelly could do the job.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar