Titans cut Adoree Jackson and Dennis Kelly

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Yes all true but kind of sad, it's just Henry still on the team...

But for a kings ransom we got the King! Lol

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about...drafting a player and he's on your roster for the length of his rookie deal is not a longterm move...every team drafts players, hopefully the top draft slots last at least that long
    Extending them past that is a longterm move, or locking them up in year 2 or 3 is a longterm move.
    In regards to Henry, yes that was a longterm move...drafting Conklin and letting him walk after 4 years is not a longterm move

Just my opinion..so we can agree to disagree

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

I bet if we had known that all this would have happened in the future we would have done it differently.

5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Exactly, that's the beauty of hindsight...its 20-20

6. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

You right brutha. Long-term is beyond rookie contract.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

So your team has a hole at the TE position. If the GM signs a FA to a 5 yr deal is that a long term commitment???

8. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

That’s not a re-signing. A 5year deal is a long term deal, but don’t think we have one of those on the books. There is a difference between a standard initial contract and resigning a guy beyond that. I would also add that the length of the contract itself does not mean there is a long term commitment. I betcha that if JR signs a TE for 5 years, it’s to minimize cap hit and that player will not be on the team for the full term.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

A big part of the issue however is we let go of three recent 1st round picks so are now in need at those positions ( a big part of our draft is centered on those three positions). I realize the CAP was an issue but we can't keep drafting good players and letting them go. We ended up using a first round pick on Wilson to replace a guy we used an early 1st round pick on that we also traded other picks for. What the Wilson pick signified was that JRob really wants a top notch players at both OTs. So why not try and keep the one you have? Again, Conklin's $14 mil contract was not unreasonable.

Now IMO we do need to find a RT in FA (maybe Lamm is the answer) or the draft in the 3rd or later and should not use that high of draft resources at that position with other positions a higher value (edge, CB, WR). That is a separate issue. Thus, the entire scenario wasn't ideal from using so many draft resources on Conklin to begin with to simply letting him walk. The issue is like dominoes falling with one bad decision leading to another and another.

Keep in mind we let go of 3/4 of our starting secondary and our NB. We let let go of 2/3 of our starting 3 WRs. The year previous we used a 1st round pick on a RT because we let Conklin go a year earlier. The year we let Conklin walk we signed Clowney and Beasley at 19.5 mil combined.

I'm a JRob fan but he really needs to hit big on this draft or my confidence in him is going to drop a few notches.

10. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree with you on the need to keep our 1st round picks but my thoughts on that were falling on deaf ears...I got the "alot of teams don't resign their 1st round picks" argument, I don't agree with that
    Conklin especially, like you said we moved back to get him...yes we got picks in the initial move down to 15 but who's left ? Henry...thats not a great haul after all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar