Titans cut Adoree Jackson and Dennis Kelly

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually Conklin was the main guy they should have kept especially since we tried to replace him with a blown 1st round pick. Conklin's contract was not that outrageous and locking him up solves a host of problems we have now. 1. we still could use an upgrade at RT and 2. the 1st round pick we used on that POS RT last year could have been a real contributor this year at another position.

2. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Conklin is on $14m a year. We already had Lewan on $16 and Saffold on $12m.

Should we have picked up the 5th year option, in hindsight sure.

But signing him beyond that would have crippled us elsewhere, we would have had way too much capped tied up in the OL.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

agreed... but as always Titans put a price on Conklins worth and let him walk

same with Davis...

they do it constantly. Sadly they are almost always correct though

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Spend that money on Conklin and not even an attempt is made to fix the pass rush last year.
    I don’t even think it’s hindsight to say that was the wrong choice, I still think it was the right choice. Kelly played well and even though the pick and FA pass rushers back fires, they still had the money to try again this year.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I would have liked to keep Conklin instead of Clowney and Beasley but that's hindsight

Henry had 2000 yds without Conklin...The FO feels the OL has been addressed with Lamm

DE was addressed this year with Autry and Dupree

As long as we don't go RT at 22 I'm good

6. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

After everything with Wilson I’d hope they wouldn’t go RT but it would be the Titan way to draft another one in the 1st lol

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

There should good ones in round 3...RT at 22 would be a mistake...needs to be CB, WR or DL (no particular order)

I'm thinking they feel Lamm can contribute

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So you seriously, in hindsight, dare to argue we could have kept Conklin instead of spending a ton of money on Clowney and Beasley? Additionally, that Isiah Wilson pick is certainly NOT a RT. It is also possible we could have gone for a different edge player to help there and literally ANYONE besides Clowney or Beasley (close to a waste $23 mil) would have been a better option. Also add in that we probably don't extend Kelly so save a few mil there.

So, we draft anyone besides Wilson and in fact have no need of drafting a RT anytime early in the draft, can still find some help at edge that isn't Clowney or Beasley and thus whoever that pick is, besides Wilson, is on the team NOW and a potential contributor for the next 4 years.

Leonard Floyd by the way had 10.5 sacks and cost the Bears $10 mil. The error (screw up) was not keeping Conklin (which resulted in the hideous pick of Wilson) AND picking worthless FAs to help the pass rush at the tune of $23 mil. Certainly choosing Gross Matos in the 1st instead of Wilson might not solve our pass rush dilemma in 2020 but still gives us a developmental pass rushers we would have on the team now.

9. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Thats kind of like saying we shouldnt have fired Wisenhunt because Mularkey wasnt much better. Conklin didnt fit at that particular time, just came off an injury and wasnt playing so well. We decided to move on. Just because Wilson is a certified headcase doesnt mean we should have necessarily kept Conklin. He wanted a lot of money at the time and we had no idea what he could bring to the table post-injury.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I disagree with some of your analysis.

Almost zero negative talk regarding Beasley before the season and overwhelming excitement regarding clowney.
    The fact they both failed was a complete surprise and disappointment to almost everyone.
    Looking forward and why I don’t think I would change what happened is the current money situation.
    If we had Conklin right now, who else did we just lose to FA this year? Would Jones have been able to get re-signed? Probably not just like this year anyway so would Autry get signed now?
    I can assume Dupree wouldn’t be here, the draft pick at 29 would have that spot (probably).
    Regardless of the various scenarios in difference with or without Conklin, the OL still produced a 2K back and a limited hit/sacked QB for the season. I’m sure we all agree Conklin is better than Kelley, but how much positive increase on what was already a good season overall, could they have been improved?

no team can re-sign everyone. Good players have to be let go. JRob made a good decision on which good player had to be allowed to hit FA as Conklin was all but not missed last year at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar